I broke the exterior door latch

DAVES89

Reatta latch is special and in short supply, it has the switch that turns the interior lights on when lifted. I do not think the Riv has that switch but looks the same from the outside.

An '88-90 door handle will work on a '91 but not vise versa.

Beware of the guy on Ebay selling door handles. He lists them as fitting all Reattas but then in his fine print he mentions they won't work electrically on the '88-90s. His are '91 handles.

Guest steveskyhawk

The eBay item number for the door handle Jim mentions is 320356406044. I have sold quite a few of these handles and people are very happy with them. Sometimes they buy spares. Jim is correct that the interior lighting function (when handle is lifted) is lost on the 88-90 Reattas. Keyless entry is not effected. They are a direct replacemrnt for the 91 model. I sell these in all colors and are corrosion free. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Has anybody examined the possibility of using handles from other GM cars of the era. Many other models used this style of handle, just without chromed handles as on the Reatta. This may be a workable trade off for some Reatta owners (just paint to match, and lose the chrome handle) if electrical compatibility can be maintained on the 88-90 models.

I know 93-96 D-bodies used a very similar handle but with a wider "skirt" with no visible gasket, and some Chevy sedans (Lumina comes to mind among others) had a handle like the Reatta without the chrome finish.

Might be helpful if we can determine a part # cross reference for those alternate handles that had the switch for illuminated entry as originals (at least NOS) are getting to be in very short supply.

KDirk

Guest steveskyhawk

Kevin,

I dont think it is a big secret that I sell lots of door handles on eBay. The only difference between an 88-90 doorhandle and the "other" OEM GM doorhandle is a microswitch. i'm looking at one now and it doesn't seem to be a big project to add a microswitch to a plain jane handle.

The real Reatta handles are not only hard to find they are not a 5 minute job to remove. I did it yesterday.

Guest Richard D

I know most epoxy's are supposed to be the same but I seem to get the best hold with JB Weld, the 5 minute is ok, the regular drying time formula is amazing. I actually repaired a head from a 1978 Honda accord that had blown the gasket between two cylinders. The repair held up for 10 years then he sold the car.