TC'd to Lake Tahoe

Guest BarelyFit

Guest BarelyFit

Last Thursday drove my 89 to Lake Tahoe. What a grand trip! The TC is my first convertible and the drive up with the top down was great. Mind you when I left Sacramento it was 103 degrees. Ninety minutes later it was 83 degrees. I have had bad luck in the past pulling the last grade to the summit, over heating from a variety of things 1) bad radiator cap. 2) failing water pump. 3) Timing issue. However this time over the pass with no problems. The auto trans never even shifted down to second. The car was able to go as fast as I wanted to drive it. Traffic was light and I am not one to speed, but was pleasantly surprised at the power it had in the hills. I did get a little concerned as the temp gauge did get higher than it does here in the valley (it was one gauge mark past midway) it did not overheat. There were about six cars off the side of the road with temperature problems and I gleefully waved as I zoomed by. I camped with a bunch of buddys at Emerald Bay and put a pop up tent over the topless TC. Coming down the hill was an eye opener at 2500 feet (Placerville) at noon it was already 100. It was only 98 when I got home though must have been a welcome home gift.

Looking forward to the run to Reno next May for the TC meet.

Last Thursday drove my 89 to Lake Tahoe. What a grand trip! The TC is my first convertible and the drive up with the top down was great. Mind you when I left Sacramento it was 103 degrees. Ninety minutes later it was 83 degrees. I have had bad luck in the past pulling the last grade to the summit, over heating from a variety of things 1) bad radiator cap. 2) failing water pump. 3) Timing issue. However this time over the pass with no problems. The auto trans never even shifted down to second. The car was able to go as fast as I wanted to drive it. Traffic was light and I am not one to speed, but was pleasantly surprised at the power it had in the hills. I did get a little concerned as the temp gauge did get higher than it does here in the valley (it was one gauge mark past midway) it did not overheat. There were about six cars off the side of the road with temperature problems and I gleefully waved as I zoomed by. I camped with a bunch of buddys at Emerald Bay and put a pop up tent over the topless TC. Coming down the hill was an eye opener at 2500 feet (Placerville) at noon it was already 100. It was only 98 when I got home though must have been a welcome home gift.

Looking forward to the run to Reno next May for the TC meet.

I have made that trip myself a few years ago when we, the TC America Club, met in Reno.

We had 3 TCs in our convoy, Mark Blodget, Tim Van Landingham and myself and we really enjoyed the drive.

I'll be looking for you when we go again in May. We came up on Route 395 when we come from southern CA.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a beautiful ride. Drove up Wednesday to Grand Lake from Aurora with a friend in his Mercedes SLK 280. Took the route thru Rocky Mountain National Park and Trail Ridge Road, highest paved road in America. I got to drive back Thursday the same way. 45 degrees when we left at 9 am and 95 degrees in Denver a few hours later. A convertible is the only way to go thru Big Thompson Canyon and the continental divide and the elk and the marmots are pretty too. Too bad the TC top won't store in the trunk, put wait one does!!! Well close enough to the trunk.

We have a family cabin up at Donner Lake, so take the trip a couple times a year. I've driven a TC topless when there was snow on the side of the road and the fresh air is wonderful. Driving a turbo instead of a V-6 up those grades is a whole lot more fun....