Exhaust doughnut?

Hello all,

Well the '89 has been on the road running very well after the head gasket replacement!

And a very big thank you to all who assisted with valuable information during that project. Especially when it came to the fact the the VIN did not bring up the correct gasket for the head.

It seems that I may be in that boat again.

I noticed that under excelleration, a low rumble started to be heard. It has slowly gotten louder, but seems to have leveled off. I have determined that it does not make the sound in park or in reverse.

I believe the exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe union is leaking due to the torque of the engine when in drive. I did not replace these when I replaced the head gasket.

So, off to Chrysler with VIN in hand. Opps, doughnot too big!!%#$%!@

I am guessing that I have to get a gasket for a 1987 Dodge Daytona 4-cyclinder again?

And does it make sense that the sound would be the exhaust and not the turbo? Turbo is working fine and spins up as usual.

TIA

Hmm, when I've had cat convertors plug up the backpressure gets too high for the exhaust donut to hold the exhaust in, the sound it kinda makes is a high pithced PFT PFT PFT PFT. Like a very angry hissing. Can't say i've hear it as a low rumble. Are your motor mounts in good shape? They can go metal on metal and make an awful noise.... Any more details on what you are doing when you hear it? Full throttle? Low RPM's, high RPM's etc?

Alan

Well, I do have one motor mount problem.

The passenger side mount is missing the horizontal bolt that runs fore and aft.

It seems to work fine, I had to remove the bolts to the engine block and frame support when replacing the head gasket to remove the timing belt. It seemed to support the engine entirely without the bolt.

I plan to try and identify the bolt size and buy a bolt locally tonight or tomorrow.

By the way your description of the sound might be a little more accurate than mine, it just sounds low pitch.

Since the noise does not happen in reverse or neutral, does that rule out the catalytic converter?

TIA

A vacuum gauge would rule out the cat. a healthy TII Chrysler turbo with a stock cam should have 15"+ of vacuum at idle. When the cat gets plugged, the vac goes away. If it's original, you should ditch it, this was a performance top end rebuild right?:cool:

Alan