seat belts,your thoughts

Guest windjamer

Guest leadsled1953

personally my years of driving in demolition derby has taught me a lot about what a seatbelt does to keep you from getting hurt. with that being said my 50 desoto doesnt have belts.i have big issue with the big washer school of seatbelt thinking. putting a bolt through a thin piece of floor doesnt seem very safe in the grand scheme of things.i look at cars from the 60s and it looks like the seatbelt mounting points are plated. so when i do put seatbelts in the desoto i will definitely talk to someone who can do that for me. i also agree about the if he hadnt been wearing a belt he would be alive today isnt true ..i have only seen that one time in my life.and that was such a freak thing that it couldnt happen again if you tried to repeat it 1000 times.i do believe that seatbelts save lives.but if you drive like an idiot and drive too fast you will die no matter how many safety devices your car has.

but if you drive like an idiot and drive too fast you will die no matter how many safety devices your car has.

Sadly, you don't have to drive like an idiot, drive drunk or distracted, or drive fast to die. All you have to do is cross paths with someone that fits those descriptions. It is what happened to my friend in Fla. She was being careful but the guy that was young, drunk and flying wasn't and now a young girl that was to marry my friend's son is dead and the rest of the folks in my friend's car have their own injuries to deal with, some of them will leave them with lifetime issues, and both families deal with the loss of Jennifer from their lives.

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

Guest leadsled1953

ShopRat,sorry for your loss.sadly so many times those who drive like idiots take the inocent with them.

ShopRat,sorry for your loss.sadly so many times those who drive like idiots take the inocent with them.

I went back and added a little bit more information to my post. I realized it wasn't clear enough. My friend was the driver of her car and the least one hurt. The girl that died was to marry my friend's son.

But thank you for the kind thoughts. As I understand it Jennifer was a lovely young lady and she will be missed by many people.

Back in early 1969 when I took Driver's Ed as a high school senior "Defensive Driving" was the new buzz word in driver training. Now if you don't drive that way, and even if you do, you are at risk from those who feel no matter what we should look out for them. Every day we see someone blast through a red light or stop sign. Bill sat in the car while I went into the bank. It sits on a corner of a main and a side street. He counted that four of the ten cars that went through did not stop at all and of those four two didn't even put on their brakes.

Just today some idiot in a big white new Lincoln came barging out of a hospital parking lot and expected me to slam on my brakes to let him out. NOT happening. He thought that because he was in a Lincoln and I was in my PT Cruiser he was more important. Sorry dude, I am driving down a through street and you can wait. Had he pulled to the edge of the exit and stopped with his blinker on I would have let him out. Not!! And that moron had the guts to blare his horn at ME like I did something wrong.

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

I'm very skeptical of anything that modifies how a seatbelt fits. Belts are tested in a specific configuration. A clip or other device that makes the loose will only serve to increase the severity of injuries. On cars with inertia reel belts, the use of a clip can defeat the action of the inertia reel. This is a BAAAAD idea.

It's simple physics. The tighter the belt, the less inertia your body builds up in a crash and the less energy that must be absorbed by the belt (and the places where the belt contacts your body). Race car drivers and fighter pilots will tell you that belts need to be as tight as possible. Yes, part of that is to keep the driver/pilot in place under high G manuvers, but it is also important to minimize injuries. This is why newer high-end cars actually have pyrotechnic belt tensioners that pull the belts tight when accelerometers sense a crash.

You know, if this thread keeps going, someone is going to come in here and say something like this:

"After reading these comments, I started wearing my seat belt more often. The next day, I was in an accident. I don't think I would have survived without it. Thanks."

THAT would make this forum worth all the effort that goes into making it work.

Joe

A clip or other device that makes the loose will only serve to increase the severity of injuries.

The one that I am talking about does not make the belt looser. It repositions the shoulder belt so that it does not cut into the driver/passenger's neck. Many people will not wear a shoulder belt for that very reason. It is uncomfortable to have that webbing edge rub. The child booster seat that I bought for the kids I baby-sit for has a slot to do that so that the belt does not catch the child in the neck.

Many vehicles, and I think they all should, have the adjustment built into the frame of the door where the shoulder belt hooks in. You can slide it up and down to get a better fit.

For eleven years Bill raced a Legends racecar pretty much every weekend from April through October. He flew the car :eek:, jammed it straight into a cement wall and various other wrecks. Thankfully he never rolled it. He did that back in the 60's with his Sportsman class racecar. :rolleyes: He used a Simpson five point harness and every time he could he tightened it down. The worst thing he did was the first time he took it out he made 3/4 of a lap and slid it into the wall and cracked a rib. I got him a NASCAR level gel seat liner and he never got hurt again. Belts do work. They do need to be tight. But they also need to be comfortable or folks will not be inclined to wear them. The auto industry should be making more of an effort to help with that. People come in all sizes and shapes and they should design for that.

The bottom line is everyone here has family and friends that love and care about them. Do all you can to stay safe.

Thirdly: baby seat. I wanted to be able to transport our new baby in the car, and baby seats require seatbelts. No seatbelts=no baby in car=less fun in owning this car.

I don't think that's right. If the car is grandfathered out of needing seat belts, then it's also gradnfathered out of child restraint laws. Now YOU may have personal feelings about brining your chiled in a car w/o child restraints, but the law shouldn't prohibit you from doing it. I just when the rounds about that w/a Vermont Sheriff. Read more here...

Utah Vettes - For the most hardcore, "car guys".

4th post up from the bottom. In the end, I won. I was right, and incredibly (I'm being sarcastic now) it's still O.K. for kids to ride in antique cars!!

With our moronic, petrified society, I'm betting it will be legislated out of existance before long I'm done driving. :(

When investigating child restraint laws in PA I noticed that no exception whatsoever was made for the car's age. You've got no choice in transporting a toddler or infant, you must have seat belts with properly installed child seats.

I doubt PA is alone.

PA may not be alone, but NC does exempt antique cars from child restraing systems.

While I am a great supporter of wearing seat belts and restraining children, in NC an antique car owner is not required to put children in safety seats in a car that was built prior to mandatory seatbelts.

Here is the exception clause in our child restraint statute, NCGS 20-137.1

"(B) The provisions of this section shall not apply: (i) to ambulances or other emergency vehicles; (ii) if all seating positions equipped with child passenger restraint systems or seat belts are occupied; or (iii) to vehicles which are not required by federal law or regulation to be equipped with seat belts.

When investigating child restraint laws in PA I noticed that no exception whatsoever was made for the car's age. You've got no choice in transporting a toddler or infant, you must have seat belts with properly installed child seats.

I doubt PA is alone.

Well that is BFS. Exactly how is one to put seat belts into a 100 year old car? And do it ina way that is "engineered" (the only way that is meaningful)? With out destroying the car? Can't do it. In fact, home installing a seat belt OPENS YOU to liability, b/c it "implies" safety to a unwitting passenger...when it's not an engineered and tested system.

So what that means in PA at least? Kids can't ride in antique cars. BS!!

Let's legislate ourselves right out of quality living. Seriously. It you REALLY want to be "safe" and that is what the legislature is for, right?...then it's best to stay home and do nothing right? Now THAT is high quality living right there! B.....S.!

-Tom

In the end, I won.

I am not sure why you argued for something that is dangerous beyond belief.

My question to you is, would you transport an infant, toddler or child in one of your vehicles without them being in a car seat, booster seat or seatbelt as normally required by law? (This is not in an emergency situation where it is life or death and no other way to transport them to a hospital or E.R. Just a regular go down the road drive.)

I can tell you I would not. I even spent my money on a top quality Graco brand full back and side protection booster seat for the kids I baby-sit for that are old enough and tall enough to ride in it by law. I would have to borrow an infant carseat from the parents.

This is one area that I personally feel that anyone transporting children of any age should do what is safest not what the law "allows".

I am not sure why you argued for something that is dangerous beyond belief.

"Dangerous beyond belief", huh? Really??? Come on now.

Why don't you whip out some statistics for me, and show me just how dangerous riding/driving is and has been, in brass era cars! I would bet ANY amount of money; I'd bet both my Corvettes, that the statistics are at least 100 times safer/better than for ANY modern car. Want to take me up on that bet?

Beyond the statistic I challenge you to produce, I can cite countless examples of things that are perfectly legal, and not (yet) culturally considered "taboo" by the zealots. Countless. It's "trendy" right now to "Look out for the children!!"...when in most cases...the kids are going to be JUST FINE. Just fine.

So how unsafe is my proposition...really? Not very.

My question to you is, would you transport an infant, toddler or child in one of your vehicles without them being in a car seat, booster seat or seatbelt as normally required by law?
NO! First, it's not necessary, as designed by modern cars. Second, the statistics for "daily driving" in a modern car are much WORSE for accident rates than for brass era cars. BECAUSE Third; people become complacent driving a modern car, in modern, every day traffic.
I can tell you I would not.
Yep you can. Doesn't pertain to 100 year old car touring, however.
This is one area that I personally feel that anyone transporting children of any age should do what is safest not what the law "allows".
Tell us how to go about that then. My question stands form my last post. How do I:

1. Install seat belts in a 100 y/o car, that...

2. are engineered to work and are tested to prove it (Crash testing) and...

3. Don't destroy the car?

How do I do that?

P.S. Did you even scan the link I posted?? Did you see the other families (in my pics) touring in '10 era Packards? Believe it or not, they had fun....and The made it out alive!!! :rolleyes:

P.P.S. I argued for it b/c I know it IS safe, I know our son was NOT in "danger beyond belief" and I also knew that if I didn't "win"...our fun, our family time, our life experience, and our trip would have been OVER. We didn't fly to New England and drive 4 hours to VT to sit in a hotel room. Would you? I can tell you that you would not. Or maybe....?

Edited by Tom400CFI (see edit history)

I will have to say that I do not have seat belts in my 1929 Model A Phaeton. I have chosen to keep it all original, and I don't drive it much, and I am extremely careful all of the time, especially when carrying passengers (including my 11 year old daughter). Life is not without risk. It is impracticable to install seat belts in this open car in a manner that it will look good and substantially improve the safety of the car. This is my choice, and it is also legal in my state.

Dave, I am no expert on PA law, but I think you may be wrong about your statement about there not being an exception in PA law that applies to most antique vehicles.

Assuming Google Documents has the correct current PA law on Child Restraints, there are exceptions in PA law for pre 1966 vehicles as well as any seating position in a vehicle that was not originally equipped with seat belts.