Hello all newbie here and looking for some input

deano1938

Just wanted to say hi. I am wondering how many car lovers there is in the great state of MI? I am getting a 1938 crysler this weekend and have done a lot of reading on here and this place is great and full of knowlage. Well here is a couple of pics of my soon to be project Am I crazy? Drop me a line if your from MI or if you have any suggestions for the 38 or any need to know info.

Thanks

Deano1938

post-62773-143138094041_thumb.jpg

post-62773-143138094043_thumb.jpg

post-62773-143138094045_thumb.jpg

post-62773-143138094047_thumb.jpg

post-62773-143138094049_thumb.jpg

Am I crazy? Thanks Deano1938

Sure you are. Welcome to the ward. There will be juice and cookies later. :D

That looks very much like the 1939 Dodge Deluxe 4-door we bought many years ago. Basket case, messy paint, stuff missing. A reason to walk for miles and miles at Hershey. :rolleyes:

Oh...I see you have a rather bad case of the disease. I think it is something that happens with only old Iron. I was bitten many years ago and Have never been able to recover. When you find a part you need at Hershey, you will know at the end of the day that you worked for it. Not as much fun as Hershey, but much easier is looking on the internet. Welcome aboard. :D Dandy Dave!

Thanks all, what really stinks is I just moved back to MI from Philly. We have a swap meet this weekend in Midland, MI that I would love to go to but this is when I am getting my "new" car, losing sleep waiting. It only has the passanger fender. Im hoping that I can find the drivers side. I really havent seen the car in person so I hope the pics are acurate. I am trading my 67 buick special 2dr coupe for it.

Trading a Buick for a Chrysler????? .....for shame :P

As a newbie myself I can relate on the excitement you have. I can't tell you how great this place is for info, I spend time just reading through the new posts so I can get to know who's here and learn about a variety of things on car restorations. It basically opens up this world for folks like myself, otherwise I doubt I would have the confidence to undertake this disease....errrrrr Hobby :D

Good luck....

Welcome to the Forum. I was in Michigan this past weekend visiting family over in Battle Creek. Unfortunately, not enough time for old car stuff. You've got the makins of a great project there. Lots of photos, lots of research before you tear into it will be necessary, and you'll be glad you did once it starts going back together. Will we see you at Hershey in October?

Terry

first things first, gonna clean her out get lot of photos, put her in the garage and see what ive got to work with. Guy say engine dosnt run but rolls. Where can a guy get a 6v battery?

pep Boys has them, I think most any auto parts stores carry them

welcome to the madness, but with the 67 Buick you were already part of the madness ... :)

I would love to be there(hershey) if I can get dates I will mark it on the calander.

The "High Holy Days of Hershey" are Wednesday, October 7th through Sunday, October 11th. The show is on Saturday, October 10th. It is the first full week of October each year.

The vendors start setting up on Tuesday, October 6th and some will sell on that day too but the flea market and car corral don't officially open until Wednesday.

The weather can be anything from near zero degrees f to in the 90's so come prepared. It almost always rains if it is warm. Not as much mud now that the flea market is pretty much all on pavement. The show is on the golf course so it is on grass.

Bring comfortable shoes/boots and LOTS of socks to keep your feet dry and comfy. :cool:

Guest Trunk Rack

How about some hard, bitter advice. Can you handle "tough love"...?

You need to sit down with yourself and do some HARD thinking about what exactly do you want out of the car hobby.

Endless tinkering with a basket case trying to bring it back to life ? With no realistic hope of ever actually getting done with it and enjoying it as a motor car?

Or do you have visions of actually enjoying a car like yours, fixed up in a serviceable, presentable condition, representing the technology of its era, and thus able to take it out and have people see it.

YOU know best what are YOUR realistic objectives and needs. Provided you THINK hard about it.

The sad and bitter truth is, starting out with what you have (which is what WAS a motor-car) will be a long, hard time devouring and VERY costly journey.

I am not all that familiar with present day restoration costs. Assuming you are mechanically inclined, have the sympathy of a local machine shop, can get someone to show you how to do paint and body work, you would be LUCKY if you can make that mess into a serviceable automobile for TEN TIMES the money it would cost you to just go out and buy one that HAS been properly maintained !

Think about it. Think HARD about it - suppose you took that mess and put it on a trailer and took it to one of the big automotive swap meets. There are LOTS of guys with stars in their eyes, and unrealistic dreams about what it takes to make something like what you have into a serviceable machine. Sell it and let someone else have the heart-ache and expense, and YOU go out and buy one that you can enjoy.

Think of the FUN of having a car like the mess you bought, sitting in your garage, in decent-enough shape to go out and enjoy.

By the mid 1930's, cars in general, and Chrysler products in particular, reached a level of reliability and serviceability that they can be driven every day, if that is your choice (my collector car, same era as yours, gets out at least twice a week, sometimes, just for the sheer fun of it, mostly, as a "beater" to go to the hardware store or market. FUN FUN FUN.

Deano1938, How about showing us some photos of these vehicles too. :) Did you work on them too?

1967 buick special 2dr coupe

1969 chevy 1/2 camper special

1971 kawasaki endero

1960 ford falcon roadster

1969 scout half cab<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Dont know if you are a disbeliver or what but here they are.

No not at all. I was interested to see the others that you had listed.

We have a 1939 Dodge Deluxe 4-door sedan (looks similar in condition to the car you are getting), a 1963 1/2 Ford Falcon "Sprint" convertible (it will be our AACA show car when finished) and a 1974 Mercedes Benz 450SL as a fun driver and possibly DPC car. It is the only one I currently have photos of. We named it Woodstock after Snoopy's little bird friend.

post-36313-143138094395_thumb.jpg

Save used Ziploc bags of all sizes, you are going to need them. :rolleyes: When Bill started to dismantle our '39 Dodge he used them to hold parts, instructions, drawings/photos of where the part goes. We also got a box of the large tags with the strings so that they could be tied to larger pieces to identify what they are and where they go.

It's been a long time since I had a prewar Mopar, but for Chrysler I suspect the interchanges will depend on which model it is , 6 or 8. The 8's of course have many fewer interchange possiblilities. Roberts is still around and is a source of many parts. These were pretty simple and reliable vehicles. The die cast grille plus plating is going to be a small fortune. Chrysler still has historical records for this era, i believe they moved to the museum from Hammtramack (sp?)