purging of old fuel-what now to use?

kman10

Have begun to bring back my 1966 Buick Electra 225 Convertible to life. has been about 20 years, kids are now self sufficient. have started her up over the years and took her out for a drive around the neighborhood but thats about as far it has gone in the 20 years it has been in my garage. found last year that the brake wheel cylinders leaked on the front brakes, so have just done a rebuild of all of the brake system. got her out of the garage, and around the block.

Question?

I know the fuel is 20 plus years in the tank but the car still fires up and stays running, but has gone off at low rpms and gear shifting. I don't have the facility accept a garage shop to pull the tank down and empty it. what are some suggestions about pulling the old fuel out and what is the type of fuel I should put back in? the owners manual calls for I think 104 octane, and leaded fuel at that year? is there an additive to raise octane and a lead additive? engine is 425 with 4 barrel. bored 30 over

most of all what do I do with the old fuel that I pull out the tank, it's half full, and I think this is equal to about 14 gallons?

thanks for everyones help.

Larry

kman10@snip.net

Philadelphia pa

You say you have used the car somewhat, so just how old is that fuel? If three years or less, I might suggest putting one large, or two smaller STP gas treatment additives in with filling the rest of the tank with fresh new fuel. Older than that and it's a real crap shoot. Especially if it's sat with less than a half tank.

Two ways to get most of the fuel out are to try siphoning from the filler neck. Auto part stores should have siphons which come with bellows on them so you can start the siphon flowing withoput sucking on the pipe. This is, of course, highly recommended. Another way is to raise the car and disconnect the fuel line from the back of the tank, and then add a new piece of fuel line to drop below the tank and let it siphon out that way. This is a bit trickier to get started.

Some have bought an electric fuel pump and then set it up in a temporary setting to pull the fuel out from the disconnected fuel line. Jst be sure the car is fully supported by frame jacks before you go under there.

As to new fuel, you really have little choice. Most of these cars will still run on todays high test. The good news is the Buick Engines do not require additives for lead. The bad news is untill you get at least one or two tanks of fresh fuel you really won't be aware of other problems form the 20 year siesta.

Keep us advised of how you doing with this. I'm sure many others will chime in with advice.

• 2 weeks later...

My Skylark is supposed to use premium also. After some thought, and a some driving, I do the following. I use premium unleaded, no additives. My reasoning is I really don't drive the car that much and if and when the time comes for a valve job due to the lack of lead, thats when I will worry about it. Car performs fine, but don't try the midgrade, that stuff won't run good. I don't like additives simply because I don't want extra things in the gas on storage of the car. As for the old gas that still seems to work, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Change the fuel filter and drive her to get the old stuff out. It won't take much driving with a dual 4 barrel to do the job. Just my 02.

Guest Bob Call

If you are uncomfortable about the unleaded gas, get a lead additive at NAPA, Carquest, Advance, or one of the other parts stores.

In the past I have read a couple of articles about boosting octane on unleaded gas. They articles said that mixing about 75% 87 octane and about 25% of the 91 or 93 octane gave the best results. After you get the old fuel out of the system, try say a half tank of 87 octane and see if the engine knocks under acceleration. If it does step up to the next octane rating on the next half tank. Contine the step until you no longer have a knock. If it knocks on the highest 93 octane pump gas, the parts stores sell octane booster additives, one of which is named 104+.

If the car is not driven regularly, be sure the tank is full when the car is not being driven to prevent condensation. You may want to put in some Stabil also.

Guest sintid58

I have a 70 Riviera and it calls for premium. I have been using Midgrade 89 octane and have no problems with pinging. I had a 70 GSX with a 455 Stage 1 and with that I always had to use premium.

I would like to thank everyone for their help in making this project car come back to life for me, being that it has been years that this car has been out of my garage for a very long period of time, now that it has been out longer my neighbors have been WOW, when did you get it, it's beautiful , they don't make cars like that any more, etc. it makes you feel good that it did not end in to a junk yard.

thanks again for everyones help.

Larry