Gas gauge not working on '39 Century

42crazy

I have read the answer to this question a dozen times, but, can't remember the answer. If the gauge reads 'Full' all the time, what is the problem, and if it reads 'Empty' all the time, what is the problem. If I remember correctly, when I put the tank on the car, I checked the sending unit, and it worked fine, somewhere around 40 ohms resistance, down to a much lower resistance when the float was moved. Thanks for the answers in advance, Paul

Paul,

Personally I have never had to replace the gauge itself. Most of the gas gauge problems I have ever experienced had to do with grounding problems. Maybe try an auxiliary ground wire from the tank to the frame with some alligator clamps. If the gauge works, then it is a tank grounding issue. If it still registers full, then I suppose it is the sending unit. I'm hoping someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Mike, after thinking about it, and reading your comments, I think the gauge is okay, because it changes when the ignition is turned on. So, it must be the wire from the tank, either shorted to ground, or broken (open circuit). Thanks for your comments, Paul

The factory has the sender ground thru the tank to the straps and into the body.We paint the gas tanks, we paint the straps holding the tank in. How is the gas guage going to get it's needed ground? It is an easy fix. The tank it assembled using 2 halves welded together. The welded seam has sort of tabs in each corner that is extra material. In one of these corners drill a small hole suitable for a sheetmetal screw. Drill the same hole in a close by part of the car body or frame and run a wire to ground the tank. A better way is to run the ground from the sender unit directly to the body when installing the tank.

Sometime my gauge reads full, sometimes, half. When it is full, it is pegged all the way. When it is half, it bounces around a little.

What?.....sending unit?

stevo

I have a similar problem with the "bouncing" needle when not full. The Chassis manual says a wiring connection problem, either with the ground or other connections, which I'm going through now. I'm sure hoping its not the sending unit.

Oooohhhhh, those dang gas tank gremlins...... :) Nothin but trouble they tis... :(

Seems that the common man always forgets that electricity is a two pipe system when they only see one wire.

Why does anyone call positive (+) the "hot side" when the electrons flow from negative (-) to positive (+) :confused:

When you finally get to the bottom of it, it is all just elementary electric.

But getting there, that is another thing........:rolleyes:

If you do not have a multi meter, and know how to use it, your just running around blind. and we all know what happens when the blind, leadth the blind. Don't we now. :D Dandy Dave!

Have you ever noticed that the tank is always full when you have to remove it from the car ? I don't ever remember removing an empty one, unless it was completely rotted away, Paul

Good point Paul, although even five gallons is heavy enough when you bench press it for too long.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Paul: The ground may well be the problem. I have solved this situation on two cars by ground the sending unit to the frame by cleaning the sending tube to clean/bare and then fastening a piece of wire to the tube with a small radiator clamp and running it to a good ground on the frame. It fully solved the problem immediately. Hope this helps. Patrick W. Brooks:)

Archived