Twilllight Photocell Sensor

Roadster90

My IPC lighting will not work until it is dark outside. My headlight switch has been rebuilt by Jim and it seems to be working (the slider is a little irratic in operation but still eventually get the lights dimmed and brightened - may be something else affecting it). When it is light ouside or durning the day I cover the hole for the sensor with my hand and it does not make any difference, but as soon as it gets good and dark outside the dash/IPC lights come on (they are not working at full capacity or get as bright etc, but they do work). My question is is there another sensor that could be not working to it fullest somewhere??? ALso, could my IPC be cauing this type of problem. I have a bulb that Jim sent me and I am going to make a dashpad removal tool - just don't want to take that dash pad off ...especially if not needed.

Thanks,

Nic

Guest kennyw

just a drop on each side of the slider pin with motorcycle chain lube or really any lubricant will get the dimmer moving freely. Just look into the slot and you will see the lever rides on a metal pin. I use the chain lub as it sticks to what you use to get it in the slot. If the car has been an outside car your chances of breaking the grille are 8 out of 10. Even if you have made good tools for the removal. It is that brittle. Have never seen your problem before. I think Padgett would say body control module? That is just a guess..........ken

Hmmm...thanks for the info Ken. Got me running scared now. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone replacing the body module for anything???? That is the module next to the ECM isn't it???? :) I never even thought of having an extra one of those laying around in the spare parts closet. Maybe Padgett will confirm your thoughts....

I read where you were going to give up your Reatta....please don't. I have always enjoyed and learned from your posts - wouldn't want to see you leave Ken.

Nic

Guest kennyw

I replaced my photo cell to get my lights on the 110 cluster working again. Hard to see when installed but the [cell] is made just like the little yellow bulbs Gm has all over most cars. It just pulls straight up and out. I then tried everything I could to get the grill off of my donor car to keep as a spare. Just a little too much force and it was in 10 pieces. You will either break it or you won't:> no in between. Still don't believe the cell is the problem.

First thought is that the dash only dims on mine if the headlights are on. - My 90 does have a "headlighs recommended" warning light.

Second thought is that the photocell value can be seen and the dimmer state can be overridden with the diagnostics. Before disassembling anything, that is where I would start.

BTW I have never gotten the dash to dim by covering anything, did not investigate very far though.

Guest Richard D

On my 90 coupe if I cover the sensors with the headlights off I get the headlights suggested warning, if I turn on the headlights or fog lights the dash dimmer becomes active. When the sun hits the dash the dimmer does not do anything, dash and panel lights stay bright.

Guest Squire Tom

on my 91 the auto headlamp works erratically. in the evening if i pull into the unlit garage , the headlights open on occasion. does not seem to be related to the slider switch position.

if the headlights come on in the garage and i back out to more light, the doors close.

just one of dem reatta tings.

See page 8D-8 in the 90 FSM - you can check the input fron the photocell and send commands to the dimmer. If they work it is not likely to be the BCM. The dimming pot command is BD42 and the photocell BD44 (near 0 = daylight, 99= darkness. BS03 allows manual dimming 0 - max dim, 99-full bright. (8D-15 and 8D-17)

Do not even need to leave the seat to test.

• 1 month later...
Guest Kingsley

This is in further reference to kennyw's comment on the slider switch. In taking a close look at these slider switches wherever you find hem on the Reatta, if you try to move them by merely putting pressure at the tip then they will bind; however if you use two fingers to grab them and slide they move nicely. This is just basic, basic and if it has been covered previously please excuse this and move on!

Kingsley

Edited by Kingsley
Typo (see edit history)

My experience was:> full bright in the day and night with no dimming from the slider. A bear to drive at night with full bright:> Replaced the sensor and back to normal dimming [with] the slider at night:> Not an electrical expert:> but my experience tells me the daytime lighting of the dash and crt come from a separate source. So one would think the [light sensor] trips a relay, [etc] to cut off the full daytime power and re-route it now through the slider bar:>>>>>>> I expect you to say the crt is lighting full bright in the day:> If so it points to a connection [to] the instrument panel. Now to find witch wire on the back of the dash panel lights it up in daylight? That is for Padgett..........ken

Actually still have my Reatta. Still needs paint. The headliner was replace years ago and needs replacing again. Old girl sat all summer w/battery disconnected. It started right up and I let it run for most of an hour to get all the fluids hot and working. Amazing wall mart battery.Topped off the air in the tires and one time around the block. I probably would use it more if the air still worked. No need to tell anyone here a driver with 166.000 on the clock will not bring much. Even with an extra parts car. To good to scrap and I won't give it away:> I would have taken the Oboma $4,500 give away but epa millage needed to be 18 and the 88-comes in at 20......

Edited by kennyw
adding comment (see edit history)