Hershey Awards Dinner

Bob Giles

The $49 dinner price finally broke me. It was nice to enjoy the company of the AACA members, but the meal just isn't worth it any more. I also see the Ladies Luncheon went up and was moved to the Museum. That also we be a hard sell.

Bob, I'm a poor person to be addressing this subject, since I'm such a pitiful budgeter.

With that said, If one would skip a few desserts throughout the year, it wouldn't be long before the extra $25-30 dollars would be saved up for one expensive meal per year. As the economy has slowed, all of us are watching our dimes and nickels. (You can forget about the pennies, they're now worthless!:))

I tell everyone that my family's vacation time is now spent with my new "family". We save for our various "vacations" throughout the year and would not miss seeing our old friends every chance we get.

Wayne-the nickel-dime pincher!:cool:

We quit doing the dinners a couple years ago. We found that if we went to a place like Outback steakhouse or some other place, we could get food that we wanted to eat for generally a lot cheaper. Plus we wouldn't be eating so late at night and waking up with our stomachs feeling all bloated.

It really is not about the food. The reason it is worth the money is to have the wonderful experience of randomly meeting fellow AACA members from who knows where. I always randomly pick a table and have always found that I ended up enjoying the conversation with at least one new AACA friend at the banquet.

Bob, I'm a poor person to be addressing this subject, since I'm such a pitiful budgeter.

With that said, If one would skip a few desserts throughout the year, it wouldn't be long before the extra $25-30 dollars would be saved up for one expensive meal per year. As the economy has slowed, all of us are watching our dimes and nickels. (You can forget about the pennies, they're now worthless!:))

I tell everyone that my family's vacation time is now spent with my new "family". We save for our various "vacations" throughout the year and would not miss seeing our old friends every chance we get.

Wayne-the nickel-dime pincher!:cool:

$25-$30...Wayne must be planning on going alone.

$25-$30...Wayne must be planning on going alone.

David,

We kicked Mike out the house last year. He is now on his own and therefore pays his own way. :eek:

Yes, that was just for one meal! ;)

Wayne

• 1 month later...
The $49 dinner price finally broke me. It was nice to enjoy the company of the AACA members, but the meal just isn't worth it any more. I also see the Ladies Luncheon went up and was moved to the Museum. That also we be a hard sell.

Bob, I'm not one who has ever gone to the banquets either, but after chairing a national meet, I can say that it is very difficult to put on a banquet for less than $40 a plate. Our banquet facility is telling us that there is a $20,000 minimum for booking the banquet facility. If the Hershey Lodge is like anyone else, they are most likely doing the same thing. With that in mind, the Hershey Lodge is most likely the biggest banquet facility in town, so the Hershey Region is most likely forced to play the game.

Also understand that the region has to provide a meal to the national president and their spouse at their expense. As hard as the Hershey Region works, I'm sure that some of that also will pay to feed their meet chairman, region president, chief judge, HERCO representative, and all of their significant others. I can't say that for sure, but I know that may or may not be an issue with our meet.

I can't say that as a meet chairman that I expect to eat for free at our awards banquet, but I am contemplating inviting the Mayor and the President of the college to attend our banquet. The city where the meet will be has been very outgoing and has done a lot to help my region bring the meet to the community, while the president of the college has given us use of the campus free of charge. I have worked very hard on trying to get this meet together, and I am not expecting a free meal, but in my case, everything that I do will be at the mercy of my region president and his board of directors.

Added expenses also go up depending on centerpieces, hors d'overs (not spelled right), and all of the other bells and whistles not included with the price minimum at the banquet facility.

In no way shape or form am I advocating $49 a dinner. Usually what we do at Hershey is park at the Lodge, walk over to Friendly's, eat dinner, walk back, and usually don't miss a thing. We eat a good meal for less than half the price, and stay within a good budget.

To the defense of the Hershey Region and to all of the regions that are hosting a national meet, putting on an awards banquet is a requirement of every national meet, and it is a very expensive business.

In our case we have a $20,000 minimum for our banquet. If 10 people show up, that would be very expensive to our region. The more people who show up, the lower our cost is, but based on space, you can only lower that price to a certain level.

I hope this thread doesn't turn off any FIRST TIME EVER show car people. If you plan to show a car for the first time at Hershey and really know deep down inside it is a winner treat yourself to the Awards Dinner. Really nice feeling coming back to your table with a throphy.