Hydraulic Lifter Noise

Guest DADDIO65

Guest DADDIO65

As I have posted in previously and I am in the process of getting my 1939 LZ back on the road. The engine is in and running.... It sounds like a singer sewing machine but it runs strong and smooth. I did pull the intake off of it and found my lifter relief valve was shot. I installed a new one, it did help however I still have 5-6 lifters chattering. they were rather pitted when I lapped in new balls in each of them, but I obviously did not do a great job of rebuilding them. I have a new set I am goint to install this week when I get time. I did change my filter to make sure pressure was not an issue, but after that was done, same thing...... Is there anything I am missing here? I am running 50 psi cold at an idle, and 45 hot @ 60 mph. So oil pressure is good.

Thanks, Daddio

There is a relief valve in ft of engine...allows oil to drip out of lifter rail to lube gear...if it is too loose pressure to lifters falls..like a "soaker hose" in the garden with the cap leaking...

The valve in the rear has a cap..is it sealed?? did that valve get cleaned / replaced?? it limits oil flow to reduce valve chamber fogging..wasted pressure..

What did u do to the lifter bodies?? refinish...?? You should drive car , rpms up before u go to the trouble to remove those 5-6 noisey ones. I had a recon set from Jake, they are now

finally staying quiet all the time....over 10,000 miles and now I use valvoline full syn 20-50

driving 50psi hot idle 35+.

Guest DADDIO65

I replaced that valve with a new one so it did help. But when I lapped in new steel balls in the valves a few of them were so badly pitted I guess I could not get them all the way cleaned up.

What does that front ball and spring do?? could that be an issue as well??

Guest Frenchy32

I would try by lifting the back of the car 3 feet or so and start the engine and see if the lifters get quitter. Next check the ball at the front and the rear check valve.

Thanks

Frenchy

Jeff, the front ball and spring is the pressure relief for the hydraulic lifter oil supply. It is set to open about 20 psi. the idea is to limit the oil pressure to the lifters to 20 psi. The by pass valve at the rear is set to open when there is a 4 psi oil pressure differential between the main oil oil and the drain/feed circuit from the oil filter. Normaly, filtered oil will will feed the lifter system unless the filter or the filter drain circuit become clogged..if this happens oil will enter the hydraulic lifter system thru the by-pass valve from the main oil line. The orifices in the filter feed circuit and the bypass valve are pretty small so there's not a big draw from the main oil line.

If the tiny "seats" for the ball checks are pitted I suspect that may be causing some of the rapid "leak down" . Lifters in good shape just require a good supply of oil and not a lot of pressure, The "slapping" action of the cam ( no clearance ramps) cause the pumping action to fill the lifter. Our friend V12 Bill carefully polishes the seats for the ball checks when he rebuilds lifters. The ball checks must also be free to move in the caged seat after they are installed.

Guest DADDIO65

Dee, how heavy is the spring in the front? The one I have is really light... similar in weight, to a ball point pen spring, but a larger diameter....could this be an issue? it was in the engine when I tore it down, so being in good shape, I left it in there. What are your thoughts??

The relief spring is fairly light so you probably have the right one. It will compress against the ball as you tighten the cap. Hopefully you kept the components of each lifter separate so as not to mix the pistons and cylinders when you cleaned them. Did you visually check the cam lobes for any excessive wear. Did this engine have lifter noise when you first ran it before the overhaul? The fact that you only have a few noisy tappets indicates that you probably have good oil supply circuit so the problem is in individual tappets.

Guest DADDIO65

Thanks Dee, that's what I was thinking but I know you know these things inside out. I have 5 that make a good noise...I ordered a new set of lifters from Earl Brown. My goal is to get them in the car this weekend so I will hopefully know more on Monday. I think this should fix my issue though from what you and the guys are telling me. Thanks a ton as usual Dee!!

Jeff

Guest DADDIO65

Well after 4 hours of removing, cleaning, and installing new lifters, I did find 4 definately defective lifters. Lesson learned here for me... I purchaced 36 new steele balls to rebuild these lifters prior to running this engine. Out of the group of steel balls 4 of my 24 lifters had steel balls bigger than what I had ordered from NAPA.... My lesson... I should have checked each and every one to make sure they ALL were the same size. This would have definately helped with my headache!!! Still I did install brand new lifters purchased from none other than Earle Brown Jr. I will re-lap the proper steel balls in each of these and have a good spare, should I ever find another engine to tinker with. Thanks.. Now I just wait for my gaskets to arrive so I can listen to it run!!:D

Sounds like you got it this time. After an initial clatter you won't believe how quiet that old 12 will run. It takes a bit for them to pump up. Be sure to check the small orifice near the upper end of the oil filter center tube. Filtered oil will flow down thru this tube into the hydraulic lifter supply. Good luck

Guest DADDIO65

:D:D:DHoly smokes!!!! My Hemi don't sound this quiet!!! WOW!! After 20 min. or so of running the only noise I heard was my leaky exhaust and my hoopin and hollering from excitement!! These V-12's run like a dream.... who'd of thunk?? I should have listened when I was told "if it is worth doing, do it right... THE FIRST TIME"!! What a huge difference brand new lifters make!!!

After a 25 mile "test" run, Old Abe, ran flawlessly.... until my right "new rebuilt" water pump locked up, sheared the pin and threw the pully. I was able to hitch a ride home, dismantle a pre-enjoyed water pump get a ride back to the old boy, do a roadside rescue and limp Old Abe back to the shop for a day's rest. Needless to say another water pump is on it's way back to me, with several apologies from a truly great supplier... (to error is human). Until Monday, it'll sit in the shop for a break!! Thanks for reading.. This has been a blast, and a great way to learn about some true American iron!!!:D:D:D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DADDIO65

Well with 250 miles on "Old Abe" this old boy runs out pretty darned good. I work for a car dealership here in Blair, NE. and parked it out front... It is amazing the looks these things bring.... then you open the hood and let them hear it run... Pretty cool piece of iron I think. Tomorrow evening I am taking it to it's first car show. I can't wait to get it out and really see it run, and see how many people out here in Nebraska know what these things are. :)

One question I have is.. I do have the original oil bath aircleaner. Is there a paper insert that I can use inside this aircleaner and still have it look like the same?? I am not real comfortable running this with the wire mesh filled oil bath, but I like the looks of the cleaner itself. Any ideas out there??