Buying an antique car in Mexico

Pinion

Anyone have experience buying an antique car in Mexico? What paperwork is needed to bring the car into the US? Any special fees? Taxes?

I'm checking w/ my state DMV to see what they require, but thought maybe there is something "national" that they may not know about.

Thanks

Have you examined this car yourself? Every South American car I've ever seen has been a nightmare of botched mechanical repairs and most were not even good parts cars. The restoration of most stateside cars of the same model would cost 1/2 to 1/3 less unless your talking some super rare exotic and even then you'd be money ahead buying one somewhere else.

Howard Dennis

Thanks Howard. Planning to go look at it myself, or have someone I trust go. Was just curious if there were any governmental requirements, fees, etc that would take it off the table before I get to that point.

Guest Trunk Rack

Federal law forbids the importing into the United States of motor vehicles that were not originally manufactured and certified to meet American safety standards. I do not recall what the year cut-off is on this.

Obviously, you go far enough back in year models, and you CAN import and register a car here.

I have read in various auto-related publications, about "horror stories", in which buyers were told the imported car had to either be destroyed, or shipped back.

I strongly recommend you contact legal counsel FAMILIAR WITH THE PROCESS & FEDERAL LAW on importing motor vehicles. Anything less than competent legal advice is an invitation to disaster.

As for the cars themselves, I strongly recommend you re-read and consider the advice of the posters above. Just remember the old expression "there aint no free lunch..!

We have 2 cars in the shop purchased from Mexico. a '40 Packard 120 4 door conv and a '37 Buick hearse. There is no duty on cars originally built is the US and the process is not all that complicated. It is important to have a title to the vehicle and that the vin be visible for inspection. No problem with pollution controls etc if the car is old enough. Not sure what that cutoff date is though. Good luck!

My father was a supervisor for Chrysler's Export-Import Division and he told me that some vehicles made for export coming in from outside the country may have to go through a short waiting period like a quarantine or some such deal. A friend of mine got an Australian Dodge and had to go through that.