Help 89 150,000 mi.

Guest Bobby Valines

Guest Bobby Valines

I am getting a code E042 which means (ignition) not sure what that means. The car is running very ruff with low power. The oxy light is on but I tried unplugging it and it runs the same. At times it will barely go 35mph. and stall. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated don't want to just start throwing parts at it without the opinion from my friends here. Thank you for any help you can give me.

If the OXY light on the service screen is on, that means the O2 sensor is not transitioning and it is running open loop. EO42 is a problem between the ICM and ECM & has nothing to do with the O2. If it were here I'd swap out the ignition system first.

Guest Bobby Valines

Thank you Padgett. The only thing that has me wondering is that I did change the ICM last year when I first got the car. I did get it from auto zone and its possible its made in china or something like that. Thanks again wasn't sure that ignition system meant ignition control module.

Guest Bobby Valines

Padgett I changed the ICM. and it runs great. It had a life time warranty from Auto zone but I broke the coil terminals unplugging it so that cost me $50.00. Other then the coil everything went smooth THANK YOU.