NEW TUBES MADE IT EVEN LOUDER AND STRONGER..SEE JAKE F. HE IS A RADIO MAN.. NEW CAPS , TUBE AND IT'L PLAY FOR NEXT 75 YEARS!!

41'S THOUGH 48 WERE ZENITHS.. 40 FORD USED PHILCO AND ZENITH..LINCOLN WAS ALL

PHILCO 36-40..40 USED NEW "LOCKTAL" SNAP-IN 7 VOLT TUBES...EARLIER SETS WERE BIG OCTAL 4-6 PIN BIG TUBES.. THESE WERE LARGE POWERFUL PUSH PULL OUTPUT SETS..BIG 8 INCH SPEAKER WITH TONE CONTROL..5 PRESETS WOOOOOOOOW!! JUST THINK, HEY PHIL..HOW ABOUT BOB WILLS SINGIN SAN ANTONIO ROSE..OR

US YANKEES PLAYIN POMPTON TURNPIKE.."SWING & SWEAT WITH CHARLIE BARNETT.....WHEN AM RADIO OR BETTER DESCRIBED "BROADCAST BAND" HEY ..JOHNNY MERCER MUSIC SHOP ON THE BLUE NETWORK........

• 4 months later...

Old Tube AM radios rock.

They have much better front ends than the "throwaway" AM section of a modern radio.

You can easily pick up clear channel stations from all over the country at night.

Also they sell a little box that will broadcast your MP3 or other audio source through your A radio.

Keep in mind that even today, the most intense audiophiles use tube amps.

Ken

i bet 8 ohm speaker..but chk nostalgiair.com there are schematics for most

but u need to know model number..

Earle brown has "radio owners manuals" repros that have specs...

cheers Antique Radio service in florida..makes solid state 6 volt pos vibrators..

nice improvement..very faint buzz ..no moving parts..mine has worked for years..

be sure new filters and couping capacitors

jb

I was surprised as I got mine done... did it myself.. loud and clear.. I was way impressed, for the age how well it sounded!! I have the rear trunk lid as the intenna..... works great!! Presets work fantastic, push button I rewound and that works well... took some time with my multi meter to find problem areas, but with a little help from the net, I got it figured out... I think at least:)

Here's what's fun about the AM radio in my car:

1. It's as big as a battery and located under the passenger seat.

2. The antenna is the rear trunklid.

3. It buzzes for about 15 secs. before coming in.

All that makes it an interesting point of discussion when showing folks around the car.

• 2 weeks later...
A couple of questions I have about some of the information that was passed in this thread, any links on the solid state vibrators, and also the transmitter so I can use another audio source on an AM radio?

Actually a member of this forum owns the company who makes RediRad, the gadget that broadcasts to your AM radio.

Here is the link: Frequently Asked Questions

The solid state vibrators are availble from multiple places.

Ken

Hi flathead_jr, Kencary pinged me on this...we have created exactly what you're looking for...please consider my invention, called the RediRad.

Our site: www.rediscoveradio.com

Here is a link to the YouTube video I did last year for it...sorry in advance for having to have to look at my ugly mug!!

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks!

I've never seen any Lincoln Zephyr with a rooftop antenna. Probably because Zephyrs don't have a divided windshield.

The antenna on my (recently sold) '39 Zephyr was mounted on the left cowl, but looked like an aftermarket (Pep Boys or JC Whitney) add-on to me. The mast fell out of the 2 mounting loops immediately but it didn't matter because the radio didn't play anyway!

I've heard of an under-runningboard antenna and a trunk lid antenna, but have never seen either of them.

Thanks for the clarification. It is always interesting to learn how different cars did it before the technique settled on after the War.

I believe '38 Buicks have the grass-catcher (running board) antenna, which was a loop design (as opposed to a whip or mast antenna).

For AM reception, a loop is more efficient than a 36" mast. FWIW, my background is in antenna design, so this discussion is pretty cool (yes, I AM a gEEk).

Phil,

Is there something in the radio I need to switch when using a rear deck lid antenna? I had read somewhere that when going from a cowl mounted antenna to a deck lid antenna there was something in the radio you had to switch? is this correct? Thanks, Jeff

The 40 lz philco has a pot that is accessed through the top to switch from trunklid to extension ant...

no lz's had a ford style roof antenna..cowl, ft fender or trunk period..

and they were coax cloth covered but good old coax like we know today..

not true... have the original wiring in the car it runs through the drivers kick panel up and over the roof under the head liner, and connects to the isolated rear deck lid... if we are indeed talking about the same thing Mssr.????????

my antenna end looks like the inside of a light bulb receptacle. It has a push and twist style of connector that goes into the radio.. I'll try and get a picture for you...

That sounds like the roof mounted antenna's on the 46-48 Fords and Mercury's. They have the antenna rod coming down behind the windscreen divider and thru the dash with a bulb type fitting on the bottom for the connection to the radio antenna wire. They are available thru cgford parts.

David