6V OR 12V COIL

Guest bea1946

Guest bea1946

HELLO,

I HAVE A 46 BUICK RUNNING ON A 12V CONVERSION. I HAVE NOTICED THAT THE COIL IS A BOSCH 12V COIL NOT A 6V COIL. THE ORIGINAL 6V HAD BEEN REPLACED. I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH CARBON FOULING AND WONDERING WHAT EFFECT A 12V COIL WILL HAVE RUNNING AT 6V.

any "points" ignition has to run on 6 volts. If the primary voltage is 12 volts as your car has been converted to than the coil has to have a resistor system to reduce the voltage to 6 volts. This is done in one of 3 ways. a block resistor, a resistor wire or a resistor inside the coil. If you run the cars ignition on 12 volts the points will readly burn and cause troubles. As for your carbon fowling problem. No. the voltage of the ignition has nothing to do with carbon.

Pirate is correct that a 12V system without a resistor will burn out the points ( and eventually the coil will cook ) But I think a 12V system with a resistor reduces the voltage down to about 8 Volts, therefore a 6 V coil will NOT work.

Your plug fouling could be a number of things

1. wrong grade of plug

2. worn rings and / or valve seats

3. running rich ---- wrong jets, float level too high, or most likely the automatic choke is stuck on.