93 Riviera parts interchange

MrEarl

What's the best source for info re parts interchange for the 90-93 Rivieras and other GM cars. I understand quite a few Reatta parts will interchange.

Currently I am interested in knowing about audio items IE

Radio w/Cassete Player

CD player

Power antenna (have a lead on a Reatta antenna if it will fit)

thanks in advance for any help

Guest CL_Reatta

The 90-91 reatta radio would fit a 90-91 rivi, dunno about a 93, but I see no reason why, CD player would, the antenna, someone else would have to clue in, but I'm thinking it will... most interior parts are the same, most drivetrain parts are the same (except reatta didn't have the air ride) ...as for the best source of info, look at the picture, if it looks the same from a reatta to riviera, then best bet it is

Reatta Data Page has the '93 E-body P&A online (must register), that is the best Reatta/Riviera interchange book I know of.

There is a lot of commonality between the 91 Reatta and 93 Riv.

ps AFAIK the 90-91 Reatta and 90-95 Riviera audio components interchange, the only noticable difference is that the radio with equalizer was optional on the Riv and standard on the Reatta.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

I have a hard copy of the 1986-92 Buick E-Body Parts and Illustration Catalog which covers both the Reatta and Riviera....covers every part # right down to bolts, nuts, washers. There were no changes between the 92 riv and the 93, so this book is good for the 93 also. If you need any specific part looked up or compared, just let me know. But, now that you're a proud riv owner you might want to obtain one...I got mine via ebay. By the way, Ed and I do expect to see you and your 93 at the ROA International meet in Harrisburg June, 2010!

As for the CD player, here's what the catalog describes:

1990 Riv/Reatta part # 12340966

1991 Riv/Reatta part # 16156734

1992-1993 Riv part # 16161794

Most of us Reatta owners scour the salvage yards looking for Rivs to pirate parts off. You sir, are the first I have heard trying to scour used parts off of Reattas for Rivs.

I would get to know Jim Finn on the Reatta site. He has many of the parts that you will need. He is very honest, knowledgable, and dependable.

Acquire an inventory of the following;

Instrument cluster

Headlight/Wiper switch

ECM

BCM

Ignition Control Module/Coil Pack

Power Antenna

Blower Control Module

You have these parts on hand and your car will only be down the time it takes to install them. I have acquired all of the above from a salvage yard. Some people say buy new, but most of the parts I have listed are now made of unobtainiam, or too expensive for my pocketbook.

A couple of things to clean;

Idle Air conrol and the intake plenum. Both procedures and many other repair tips can be found on Ronnie's website... Reatta Owners Journal - Home.

Good luck with your new Riv.

One thing to think about ... The Reatta is basically a Riv [a 2 seater with more style]. We know your car. You will get good advice quicker because what you have is all we know...

As you say because the reattas & rivs are so similar, I have found Ronnie's web site extremely helpful for my Rivs..very glad he keeps it available. I too scour for used parts at auto yards in my area (MA)..wife says I could probably build another riv w/ the many parts stored in the basement. But, I have yet to see any reatta in any of the yards.