Multi Chime Module

Guest northmn

Guest northmn

Does anyone have a good used MCM for sale.It is a black plastic box aprox 4 " square that is plugged into the convenience centre under the left side of the steer wheel column?

Bob The part number should be 25519224 for an 83. I need two myself :D

I found some at Collector Auto but they want $150.00 for one, NOS. The 84/85 version is 25524794 and is still available from Buick. One of the differences is the 84/85 just has a series of blades, where the previous versions had blades and a couple of wires that would plug into the fuse box. maybe the 84/85 version can be retrofitted if you study the wiring schematics in both 83 & 84 service manuals? I'm going to also check into it. I know the LPS connector at the fuse box is still there in 84 as it was needed in 83 for the chime module.

I researched these and found that most of the problem is foam that deteriorated and makes the sound so low you can't hardly hear it.

door bell chimer - TurboBuick.Com

Sure wish we could find us someone who's a wiz at electronics to repair these things... anyone?

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

If your module still chimes, but the volume is so low it can only be heard by putting your ear close to the dash, the repair is fairly simple. For part # 25524794, open the end and pull the unit out. On the top of the unit, you will see a round black object about 1 1/2 in. in diameter. It is held in place by plastic connectors that hook it to 2 posts. Remove the black object by prying gently on the plastic connector that holds it to each post. I usually use a heat gun to soften the plastic. It is usually brittle from age and easy to break if I don't. It is tricky because too much heat will melt the plastic. Once removed, turn it over. You will see a metal disc held in place by a plastic retainer. Remove the retainer and the disc will fall out. You will find remnants of a narrow foam rubber ring. Clean the remnants from the ring and fashion a new one. I use foam packing sheets that are about 1/16 of an inch thick. The ring does not need to be as narrow or precise as the original. Reverse the process and your module should make a chime that is quite audible. I don't have any of the earlier model modules to look at, but have used the same process on modules for earlier Oldsmobiles and Buicks that had the wire in addition to the blades. Good Luck!

Guest northmn

Tim

I'am still laughing.I was waiting for someone to say something normal like that.Maybe I did hammer the sucker years ago.I still might do that again if the new one starts bugging me too much.

Bob.