Vaccum fuel pump..Brakes.. Bolts 1928 Chev 1 1/2 Ton truck

I am new to this sport with only a few weeks under my belt. What I don't know will fill up a library. <BR>I purchased a 1928 Chev 1 1/2 ton truck and she's about middle of the road.... not a "10" but far from a junk pile. I will probably never be able to pull this all together into a "10" but I am looking for steady improvement. I hope to maintain the true "antique" flavor and still not worry about driving her to a football practice from time to time. <BR>My current problems center around 3 things. A. For whatever reason (and I'm sure that it made sense at the time) the former owner of this truck bypassed the vaccum fuel "arrangement" and installed an electric fuel pump. It works great but it is hardly original. Because the vaccum "tank" leaked, I totally disassembled the pump so that a pro could weld it. The pump appears to be "all there". Any comments on going back to the original fuel pump? Does anyone have experience with this pump and is advise available on rebuilding it? <BR>B. I am looking for 7/16in, fine tread bolts with nuts for the wheels. In this application, the bolts are used to mount the wooden spoked wheels to the rim and tire. The bolts are basically functional (except one) but the years haven't been kind to the bolts and nuts and some are pretty shabby. Any ideas on where to go to get these?<BR>C. The brakes are something out of a scarry novel. I cleaned and relined the front shoes and with very close adjustment, they improve my situation.. BUT I have a ways to go. My inspection of the the rear brakes opened my eyes...the brake "pads" are on the outside of the drums! Any info on this arrangement would increase my knowledge a ton. <BR>Thanks for any input that you can give. I'm waiting for my AACA card to come and I'm looking for a club in South Central PA to hook up with. <BR>Thanks<BR>Rummie

I've been interested in old cars for over 30 years. My ignorance will probably fill a bigger library than yours smile.gif" border="0<P>A) No direct experience with vacuum fuel pumps. They seem to work well for some.<P>B) I recently found <a href="http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/">Jamestown Distributors</a>. They have a huge line of nuts, bolts and screws useful on an older car and seem to be much cheaper than the places that cater to old cars. You might try there for your bolts. I was able to get slotted oval head screws in all the sizes I needed for my car, including some that "the other guys" did not have at all.<P>C) External contracting brake bands were very common on lots of cars and trucks of the 1920s and earlier. Other than my parking brake I have no first hand knowledge of the quirks. Others will chime in I am sure.<P>You are luck in your location. There are a number of AACA Regions near you. Take a look a the AACA top level and follow th links to Regions. There are a couple of DFers that live in your area too.<P>Good luck on what seems to be a great vehicle.

Rummie, the only thing I can help you with is the 7/16 bolt, if it's a fine thread it would be a 7/16-20, look for a screw & bolt supply house, or you can look on line at McMaster-Carr, they have them listed. Hope this helps.

I LOVE vacuum tank fuel pumps....when they work. I own a 30 Dodge DA that had an electric fuel pump on it.....the car ran poorly and stalled at embrassing times. I rebuilt a vacuum tank and installed it...Wow, no stalling, starts every time, and is a joy to drive.<BR> The vacuum tank is easy to fix and overhaul, once you figure out how it works.<BR> Bill

Unlike the "critter", who restores his own vacuum tanks, I used this guy - click on the following AACA DF link for info: <A HREF="http://www.aaca.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000788" TARGET=_blank>http://www.aaca.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000788</A> <P>I've had several cars with vacuum tanks and these units work fine if in good condition.<P>My '23 Dodge has only two rear wheel brakes with the service brake on the exterior of the drum and the parking brake on the interior. Of all the cars with mechanical brakes I've had, this one stops fairly well and in a straight line. If you rebuild the brakes, be sure to get lining material that approximates the original. cool.gif" border="0