No More Windshields??? Damn!

BrentS

When did this happen? Here in the crappy state of New York, if they fail me because of the crack in my windshield, I'm screwed. Lame.

I guess they may be able to "repair" it.

I don't know guys............I think I'm starting to debate whether to get rid of this car. It will be sad, because I still remember when my mother drove it home from the dealer. And, I've spent so much time over the years keeping it going. But once these issues start to mount, like this........:(

Nicer in Orlando. No rust. Winter is July and August (but has been quite cool this year, few days over 90).

Yeah - you got the weather....:cool:

But what about the FL STATE inspection laws, which is da issue! :D:D

Here in Hoosier state they are pretty lax overall, well there ISNT a vehicle inspection which is a big + for those of us with aging transportation. :rolleyes:

Guest CL_Reatta

Michigan's the same way... and we dont need bills of sale! Pretty much the general rule in "repairing" a windshield crack is if it is 12" in shorter, essentialy you could fix it yourself with those kits they sell.

I may be saved! Just found this from the New York State DMV website:

"No crack of 11 inches long or longer is allowed if any part of the crack is within the area cleared by the windshield wiper."

NYS DMV - (Brochure) New York State Vehicle Safety/Emissions Inspection Program for Cars and Light Trucks

The crack on mine is 3 inches, and then turns 90 degrees for 6 more inches, but is mostly in the blackened area of the glass near the A-pillar on the driver's side.

So, kiss my rear New York!........ At least, for now.

What Florida inspection ? Last time I had a car inspected here was in 1972. Also if a windshield is damaged in the driver's vision, it is a no-deductable repair (of course, first you must have comprehensive - not collision - insurance).

627.7288 Comprehensive coverage; deductible not to apply to motor vehicle glass.--The deductible provisions of any policy of motor vehicle insurance, delivered or issued in this state by an authorized insurer, providing comprehensive coverage or combined additional coverage shall not be applicable to damage to the windshield of any motor vehicle covered under such policy.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

I only have liability insurance on this car. I don't feel like paying $600 or $700 a year for a comp policy, on a car who's book value is in the tank. I haven't had cany comp coverage for quite some time. And, I know of no way to get "glass coverage" without the additional coverage. For example, you can't ONLY get "theft" insurance, or ONLY get "fire", etc. etc.

I look at doing a repair, just to stop the crack, although its currently pointing to the roof, with only a few more inches to go.

Actually, yes, you're right, i was thinking of Collision. I'll look into the insurance thing.

But, since I think I'm OK for now, with the inspection, I guess I'll go back to trying to fix this damn high idle.

Guest Richard D

What do you mean no more windshields? There is one on ebay and I got a quote for a new one that cost more than a lot of running Reatta's. Mine has that crack on the drivers side in the black masked area too. Here in Florida insurance does not charge deductable for glass and there are no auto inspections.

I'm not out of the woods, yet.

My crack is currently 9" long, and no place will repair cracks longer than 6". Even though most of the crack is in the black area of the windshield, much of the crack is where the windshield wipers go. So if it goes over 11", they can fail my inspection.

Does anyone recommend a repair kit that I can do, myself? Since, I guess these repair places refuse to do repair on longer than 6".

Guest C.F.Massie

Try stop-drilling, a technique we use on aircraft, it was used in the military for years, and still is in use in some instances, and in civilian world. It's the process of drilling a hole through the windshield at the end of the crafk that is migrating, this will relive the stress which will causes the crack to continue. After drilling the hole you can fill it with another small round piece of glass to match or any other material you can find that would not look obtrusive to you. You could use a plastic dowel cut to size and length then epoxy it in place. We do this on metal and glass and it is a stop gap measure but it will last a long time and may never need to be replaced with a new windshield it you do not want to.

In Naval Aviation we use it on aircraft skin to stop cracks from getting bigger and even on windshield, though not in a pressurized cabin. The stop-drilling can endure heat and cold weather conditions. An example of stop-drilling is the Liberty Bell although that is not a good example because they didn't do it correctly, but considering the time in history when they did it they did not know enough about pressure and stresses. It works and any shade tree mechanic can do it. This may help you out for the vehicle inspection because I don't know of any vehicle laws in any state that prohibits from having a small hole in the windshield, and besides it would be filled. Good Luck;)

Thanks for all the input! This forum rules.

I was actually able to add Comp and Collision to this car for only $144/year, with a $250 deductable! I was shocked it was that low. Even my insurance broker was surprised. Maybe because the book value is so low? Anyway, I guess it's the insurance company's problem, now.

Guest steveskyhawk

BrentS,

You cannot buy insurance for a loss after the fact. If you turn in a claim for your broken windshield now it is fraud. It is NOT the insurance company's problem now.

I'm not turning in any claim NOW. Right now, the crack is only 9 inches long. State inspection allows up to 11 inches. Additionally, the inspection isn't due until December of this year. So, if the crack remains as-is, I should pass in December. If something else strikes the windshield or some kid comes around and presses on the crack to cause it to go over 11 inches, then I can certainly file the claim if/when the windshied becomes "defective" according to New York States vehicle inspection standards.

What are you, an attourney?

Guest steveskyhawk

The existing crack in your windshield is by all standards prexisting damage and defective. This crack will only get bigger. The NY state standard for inspection has nothing whatsoever to do with the standards your insurance will consider defective. I know how expensive Reatta windshields are as I just replaced one in my 89 coupe. It was broken when I bought the car and never considered filing a claim. It was NOT my insurance company's problem and neither is yours. For the record, I am not an attorney, but simpley an honest person trying to keep you out of the crowbar hotel.

Sorry steveskyhawk, my attorney comment may sound harsh in writing.

But, I'm not hoping to HAVE to get a new windshield, because they would likely only pay for a junkyard one. And with my luck, the installer will probably screw something up.

Remember, I live in NY and probably pay more insurance, fees, taxes, surcharges, etc. than most others could imagine. And now I'll be paying $144/year MORE.

If the insurance was really that concerned with what part of the crack was initiated, and when, etc., then they could have required me to get it inspected for this additional coverage. I don't think they care much, they just raise your rates when you file a claim, anyway.

Guest steveskyhawk

NY State inspection, the high cost of insurance and a broken windshield in a Reatta. Brent, I understand that these aren't the most pleasant things in the world. I know this may not set well with many of the forum readers that have state inspections but it is the lesser of the evils. Here in California there are no State Safety inspections, only smog inspections. A used car comes with license plates and the state has no way to tell if a car is insured after the initial registration is paid. Many people need gas and oil only. Many cars on the road here are uninsured, unregistered and unsafe. Freeway average speeds are 80 mph and it was over 100 degrees yesterday. It wouldn't suprise me to see a car with no windshield going down the road with the driver wearing goggles.

I didn't know CA had less inspection criteria; I guess they're only concerned with environment. And maybe since NY everyone's so litigious, they have additional safety requirements......not to mention all the additional money and jobs it creates for the state government. Oh well.

Yes, "Uninsured Motorist" insurance is another mandatory portion of our policies here, too.

You know what.......I'm thinking about going to get my Reatta inspected early, while there seems to be nothing wrong with it (for now). This way, I'll have less to worry about until next July.

Guest Richard D
What do you mean no more windshields? There is one on ebay and I got a quote for a new one that cost more than a lot of running Reatta's. Mine has that crack on the drivers side in the black masked area too. Here in Florida insurance does not charge deductable for glass and there are no auto inspections.

I just got a quote from Safelite, they claim to supply GM with oem glass and when I looked at my windshield it does say Safelite on it. The quote was $1,740.00 installed at my home. Does anybody think State Farm might drop me after this claim? They have insured all my cars for over 15 years with no claims.

Richard.

15 years with no claims; Doesn't sound like they should drop you.

What about a windshield from a junkyard? Is that an option?

And I called Safelite, and they said they could not get a windshield for me. What's with them?

Guest steveskyhawk

I think that the source of new Safelite windshields must be Pilkington classics. The problem with used windshields is the variation in quality. The tint fades to yellow and they have various surface condition. Used windshields with the ecapsulation cut off are worthless. That Safelite deal sounds great.

Guest Richard D
15 years with no claims; Doesn't sound like they should drop you.

What about a windshield from a junkyard? Is that an option?

And I called Safelite, and they said they could not get a windshield for me. What's with them?

Brent, the person who called me back and gave me the info was Ashley, her phone # is 305-628-7400. She is in Miami but can probanly hook you up with a Safelite dealer in your area.

Richard

Guest Ted33308

How bad is the crack??? If it isn't too bad, contact a franchise of The Glass Mechanix, or try google. they inject some knid of clear chemical into the glass. They say that the crack will disappear.

...just a thought

Ted

:DYes indeed, this forum rocks!

But sounds like living in NY blows :eek:

Funny it also sounds like the windshield repair folks are in cahoots with the

state inspection ogres (camt work on the greater than 6" cracks so they will

eventually expand into 11" ones?)

Just Drive to another state and get it fixed, that'll fix them! har har.

Then think about moving to somewhere in the United States. yuk. :D