UPDATE FROM OLD FORUM GUY

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Hello AACA, A lot of you old timers will remember me, some will not. I was very active hear a few years ago. An update on what I have been up to, but first a quick recap. I have a daughter who has Autism and twin boys who were born 11 weeks early. Olivia is now six and doing well in her class. She was receiving home services for a year and then at age 3 went to a school for Autistic kids that uses the ABA method (Applied Behavioral Analysis), she was there for 27 months ending in August 2008. The class is a 6:1:3.5, meaning 6 kids, one special ed teacher and 3.5 aids, but they had 5 aids, more on that later. The school is very demanding on the student, 5 hrs a day and 1.5 hours at home daily. The parents go 2 times a month for 10 months for lectures and workshops and 2 times a month in the classroom, then 2 times a month until they are out. I was involved in fund raising, as VP of fundraising and helped out with our dinner dance this year also. We pay for additional aids and items not paid from the county, state or school district. We raise $250,000 yearly.

We moved May 2008 to a bigger house in a district that has better programs for kids with special ed needs. Olivia has been in a full day special ed kindergarten class and started a 3 hr per day, 6 week summer class 7/6/09. The twins, Jonathan and Nicholas are doing well and will be 5 in Dec. They have been in a special ed preschool program at the same school as Olivia, (non Autism) they have one more year to go in pre-K because they were born 12/10 and districts use a 12/1 cut off for kindergarten. All 3 start swim class 7/13 and the boys will be going 7/13 to school 2.5 hrs per day 3 days a week at the same school that we paid for.

As for me I have colitis (4 years) and had a flair up in March and on Memorial Day I tore my ACL and MCL in the left knee going over a 4 ft chain link fence in the back yard to pull weeds, I was out of work for 3 weeks and have had 5 weeks of physical theraphy so far, no opteration planned. I have had a custom brace for 2 weeks now. I did make Hershey last year and plan to this year, I hope. The only local show I have been to this year or last year was one I run Armed Forces Day in May a the NY state Vets Home in Stony Brook Long Island.

I would like to go to Macungie, Pa. in August, but that will be difficult. I hope to see many of you at Hershey or Philly in Feb. I read in the national magazine that Ron Barnett died, it upsets me just to write this, he was such a great guy.

Sal

www.ddiinfo.org www.yap-cf.org school web sites

www.longislandmotortouringclub.com local non AACA club

Edited by SalG (Sal Grenci) (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

NEW UPDATE

I made it to Magungie with my 4 1/2 year old twin boys on Saturday.

I have surgery on the ACL on 8/27/09, doing well enough to go to Hershey, I will drive down Tuesday and be on the fields on Wednesday.

Guest BruceW

Hi Sal!

It was good to see you at Macungie . I'll be working at the AACA Library and Research Center tent in the Chocolate field Annex on Wednesday afternoon, so if you get around there.. stop in and say hello.