1930 Buick roadster, What is it worth?

Guest Hotrod-40

Guest Hotrod-40

<hr style="color: rgb(229, 229, 229); background-color: rgb(229, 229, 229);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> I usually only deal with old Fords, but a friend came to me and ask what this car is worth. It is a 1930 Buick roadster. I figured someone on here should be able to help me in some way. This car is going to be for sale, but they would first like to know what it is worth first. This car was restored in around 2001. Shortly after restoration, the restorer past away (my friends Dad). This car has had very little miles put on it since then, just driven once a year to keep fresh. It's is a beautiful car, but again, what is it worth?

Thanks for your inputs. If anyone might be interested E-mail me at Hotrod1940@gmail.com

post-62542-143138089781_thumb.jpg

post-62542-143138089784_thumb.jpg

post-62542-143138089788_thumb.jpg

I would say, best case, around $15; but more realistic in this tough economic environment would be $11 to 12K. The reason I say this is that I watch the sales of cars through AutoTrader, auctions, and Ebay. I would say that by looking at the pictures this would be classified as a 3 car. The refreshing is nicely done, a great drivers car. Just my opinion.

Now I know that the years are different(26 versus 30, but both look to be in similar condition. So one would expect that they should be close in price. Ebay auction has three hours to go and it is in the $12K range. I will post the selling price.

Buick:eBay Motors (item 320391117801 end time Jul-08-09 18:21:53 PDT)

There really is no comparison between these two cars. I'm fairly sure the car is a 1930 Series 40 Sports Roadster. The improvements between 1926 and 1930 are dramatic, new chassis and suspension, new internal expanding brakes ( which really work in all weather conditions ) new user friendly steering, the list goes on. In addition the 1930 is the end of the 6 cylinder era and falls into the cut off for Vintage.

That makes the 1930 model a desirable and USABLE vintage car, especially for those involved in vintage rallying.

The GOLD BOOK lists 1930 Series 40 Sports Roadsters at

Fair $19500

Good $36000

Exc $54000

Show $63000

Economic climate or not I would have thought the car would have to sit somewhere between the Fair and Good valuations.

I did watch an unrestored 40 Series roadster ( no wood, lots of rust, missing parts ) sell on ebay late last year or earlier this year and for a long time it sat at around $6000 but I was surprised when it almost doubled that at auctions end!!

Guest Hotrod-40
In his own words "he is a destroyer of cars" ban him :)

Hey, how did you see that! :D Its true, I own a chopped Model A!;):D

Guest Hotrod-40
There really is no comparison between these two cars. I'm fairly sure the car is a 1930 Series 40 Sports Roadster. The improvements between 1926 and 1930 are dramatic, new chassis and suspension, new internal expanding brakes ( which really work in all weather conditions ) new user friendly steering, the list goes on. In addition the 1930 is the end of the 6 cylinder era and falls into the cut off for Vintage.

That makes the 1930 model a desirable and USABLE vintage car, especially for those involved in vintage rallying.

The GOLD BOOK lists 1930 Series 40 Sports Roadsters at

Fair $19500

Good $36000

Exc $54000

Show $63000

Economic climate or not I would have thought the car would have to sit somewhere between the Fair and Good valuations.

I did watch an unrestored 40 Series roadster ( no wood, lots of rust, missing parts ) sell on ebay late last year or earlier this year and for a long time it sat at around $6000 but I was surprised when it almost doubled that at auctions end!!

The Family that owns this said they want to get 30k, its that high? What would be more realistic?

Guest Hotrod-40

Also, the only thing the car is missing is the stainless cowl band. The restorer could never find this. Does anyone have this, or can they at least tell me if it is hard to find?

Guest 40series

I followed the link t the HAMB site (insert hambster joke here) and read it in your post. It's OK if Ford's are all you are cutting up. There are lots of those.

This is a very desirable car. I would not consider the 40 series very much less desirable higher number series. The larger series have bigger heavier more gas loving engines. Buick is not making any more of these and for that reason alone to me it would be worth more than 15K. I would also be surprised if it fetched the big bucks (30K) mainly because it would still cost a chunk of change to get it into show quality. I am working on a sport coupe and have spent about 5 times the amount that I paid for the car originally. I would be interested on the final sale price as a comparison. Good luck.

Paul

I did a little research on a 1930 Buick model 44 roadster original color choices. Looks like there were four color choices: Vermillion Gray, Meritone Tan, Black, or Normandy Blue. I notice the firewall on this car is black. That may be the original color. I painted the firewall on mine body color but there are some indications that may be incorrect. In the latest Buick Bugle the author made a point of the firewall on a 1929 being black and I would like to know if that is true for 1930.

Does not look favorable to those buying old cars as an investment. I used to think old cars were a better investment than the stock market. That may be changing.

Paul

If someone picks that car up for less than $20,000 then old cars would have to be a very good investment. Sure there are a few areas that need attention ( but as restorers that's what we do isn't it ) and when the good times return that car will be worth a lot more than that.

As you said earlier, they sure aren't making anymore 1930 Buick roadsters, and a lot of people would love to own one.

• 10 months later...
Guest Dave@OldSchool

Greetings ... I have a nice Coupe body for sale.... I believe it is a 26s .. top has been removed...looks like the black/white roadster picture you use.

It is VERY solid. Was on a car that was converted to a Speedster.

Dave OldSchool Restorations of North Alabama 256.507.3328 or email

• 8 months later...
Guest Dale R Butterfield
Also, the only thing the car is missing is the stainless cowl band. The restorer could never find this. Does anyone have this, or can they at least tell me if it is hard to find?[/QU

32 Buick firewalls and inside of hoods were brush painted black at the assembly plant. Mac

Blair has an old newsletter that describes the sequence and process that was used in 32.

Mac also has cowl bands for 32's. I don't know the differences to earlier years.

Bob Engle

Guest Dale R Butterfield

Thanks for your reply,Bob. The cowl I have is for a 1930 Master series vehicle. I misunderstood that someone was looking for a 1930 cowl band. If anyone is interested in this or any part of the cowl, engine, radiator, or frame parts lets talk. Please call me at 801-663-6080....possibly work out trades for 1928 Buick parts. My email is dnsbutterfield@gmail.com. Thanks, Dale.