1950 Windsor-Newport fuses? breakers?

Guest interceptor

Guest interceptor

Hey all,

I have this 1950 Windsor that runs like a top. I have been cruising it for a few months. My prob is I have no interior dash lights/power. I have not been able to find any fuses or breakers on the car. All that lights up inside are the rear interiors and under dash interior lightbulbs.

-The guy I rescued the car from was trying to use the 6 volt battery backwards and I think he messed up something electrical. I have already replaced the regulator and she is charging up good.

Guest martylum

Your headlight switch has a rheostat built into it and the rheostat may be burned out Test for output from the rheostat using a voltmeter. This rheostat controls the intensity of the dash lights.

Martin Lum

Guest interceptor

All my exterior driving lights work. The only thing working inside is the cigarette lighter. Also working inside is the two under dash bulbs and rear interior bulbs when I open the doors only. I am really wanting to find the fuse/breaker for the radio to see if that works.

There is usually an inline fuse on the radio wire within 1 foot of the radio. It will be a small metal cylinder.

I am speaking generically here of what most cars of the era had on their radios. I do not know specifically what a 1950 Newport has.

Did you try turning the light switch knob with the headlights on? Did the dash lights come on? Did you take out the bulbs and check them?

When you turn on the radio it will not work until it warms up. This can take a minute or 2. If it does not work does it at least hum? If there is no hum or faint buzzing sound the vibrator is not working. This is common on old tube radios.

Your radio can be fixed if you find a tube radio expert. The parts are available. PLEASE do not butcher it for a transistor conversion.

Here is an excellent site on fixing old car radios.

http://members.cox.net/dcosby1/

Guest interceptor

I will check it out, thanks.

I did have the lights on and was messing around with the knobs and got nothing. Under the dash looks very original and in decent condition also.