1990 TC

Guest camc61

Guest camc61

Something else I don't know why but sometimes the car will go back into limp mode if I start out slow from a stop but if i pull over and shut the ignition off and then start the car and take off a little quicker and get on it alittle it will shift good.what do you think?

First= That is the way "Limp Mode" is supposed to work. Trans problem occurs, Trans goes into limp mode. You stop, shut off car, code clears, Trans restarts normally. That's why I wrote earlier to: NOT SHUT IT OFF WHEN YOU WENT FOR DIAGNOSIS CHECK. (you shut it off and it clears the codes)

If it keeps happening it's because problem is still there. Could be new trans fluid with additive is still cleaning. Could be that additive is messing up. Could be needs 1 more change. As much as I know of these transmissions also includes a lot of textbook reading from other experts. ALL say no additives The +4 Synthetic fluid has it all. Chrysler did hav a service bulletin adding 2 oz. of limited slip differential additive for clutch chatter in 1-2 shift; but that is the only additive I have ever seen suggested.lz

Edited by LouZ (see edit history)

Guest camc61

Ok I will let it go a couple of days and see what hapens if doesn't get any better i'll do a full fluid change.thanks for the info It has never done this before.even when i turned off the car and started again it would always stay in limp mode.

Cliff

Edited by camc61
more info (see edit history)

Guest camc61

Hello Mark,Thanks for the info. I switched my Auto shutdown relay with my Back up light relay (they are right next to each other just under the TCM) and I have not had any problems since I think the shut down relay was getting hot and not working.I figured the back up relay only engages during reverse they are the same relay.

thanks Mark

Cliff

Edited by camc61
info (see edit history)

Guest My TC Toy

I hate to say this, but you still have a transmission problem. The mere fact that the car is not continuously operating the tranny properly tells me this. Also, because the tranny does work properly on times tells me that the problen is not internal, but rather sensor related. Because the speedo works, i'll go back to the output sensor as the problem. Both of these sensors pickup signals form 'tone wheels' on the clutch packs, if the proper information is not getting to the transmission computer it simply will not function properly.

The other thing that comes to mind is that you say it is now working 'fine' since you fiddled around near the transmission controller. I would remove the harness from the controller and carefully inspect all wiring pins, looking for rust , or most likely a white dust. These items would cause intermittant information flow and cause the transmission to not function properly. Thoroughly clean and lubricate (with di-electric compound) all pins and contacts before replacing harness. But, again, your best bet is to find a shop with a transmission reader.

Guest camc61

Yes I believe you are right,The fact that I can pull over shut off eng and it wiill reset means there is still a prob.I have replaced the output sensor but not the input turbine sensor.I took off the tcm harness and sprayed with electrical clnr and made sure the connectors were not coroaded so the only things left are the tcm or speed sensor But what about the PRNDL switch?I never use to be able to pull over turn off eng and restart and be out of limp mode.I am trying to find a trans shop that can read the tcm with the right connector.OBD Also one last Q there are two small hoses on the air cleaner I know one is for the crankcase vent what does the other one go to can't find were it attaches?

I think everyone is getting excited and is still considering this transmission as a mechanical piece. A mechanical unit works consistently all the time. A part don't work, you replace it, it works. When it comes to this transmission stop thinking that way. This trans is COMPLETELY ELECTRONIC VARIABLE CONTROLLED. It goes so far to read your driving habits and reprograms and controls itself accordingly. Theoretically It can change it's operation almost every day.

We know it had a problem. That problem may have been Wrong Fluid. It may have been sticking or in someway a bad Solenoid Pack. The oil has just been changed to the correct oil. It has been run with a marked improvement. It has not been run a lot. It is possibly still cleaning and flushing itself. According to what I have read on ALPAR (and those guys are more knowledgeable than I) It has taken up to 3 oil changes before some of these transmissions have corrected themselves after being fed the wrong fluid. Also; after changing fluid I would expect to run a unit about 500mi before I would expect any change that would amount to anything considerable.

You folks sound like "The Lady Margaret" (my wife) She sprays solvent on something and immediately wipes it off expecting it to work. Give it a couple of minutes to work before you wipe it off. Get the idea. If you redo one of these transmissions you MUST do it completely with all the upgrades and a new TCM. by the time your'e done you will be around $2000.00. I think it's worth a couple of oil changes. And when you "Shotgun" anything you never really get anywhere.

Everything you are doing is good stuff; but pick something and give it a good try. ~ Also ~ It usually takes the TCM a couple of miles to realize that something is wrong before it goes into "Limp Mode". It also takes the TCM a couple of miles to realize it's been fixed. ~ SO ~ like I said a couple of days ago. "Put gas in it and drive it" .

When you are finished doing something to this trans. You must go thru the REPROGRAM PROCEDURE. Then run the car. It don't work if you don't reprogram the TCM. Good Luck, Lou

Guest camc61

Yea I know what you mean I am just getting to understand this transmission i have been reading my shop manual and learning as i go like I said i replaced the output sensor and no change I will now do another trans fluid change.But I thought you said if you drive them to much in limp mode it can hurt the trans.when it is in limp mode I drive it just at 45 50 mph so eng don't tach so much.Also you mentioned retraining the tcm how do you do that??

Guest My TC Toy

There is a small foam secondary filter inside the air box. There is one hose that is attached to the block for air intake to the crankcase from the foam filter (this air eventually ends up going out through the PCV valve) and a second short hose that serves as an air intake to the secondary filter itself.

The A-604 transmission "learns"your driving habits and functions accordingly and it does take time for the unit to "learn". This was the first transmission of this kind when it first came out, up to this time all automatic transmissions were strictly mechanical in their nature. However if you continue to experience problems, and they are not rectified accordingly, the only thing the transmission will "learn" to do is destroy itself.

Guest My TC Toy

To correct my error, I mentioned output sensor in post 46, but I should have said INPUT sensor as mentioned previously in post 23. Your speedo works so it is not the output sensor, which you said you replaced. The man at the parts store should stick to selling parts not diagnosis.

Guest camc61

Wow! straight out of star wars. I guess these trans are very complex.I was reding my shop manual and it shows the air cleaner and shows one hose as a drain just goes down and connected to nothing in the pics.Well I can always get the input sensor only 29.00 from Napa and see what happens.

As soon as it goes into limp mode, you should pull over stop turn off the key wait 2 min. restart and drive away in normal trans action. once it is cruising in 4th gear it should not go back into limp mode unless you change throttle pressure. Did you go to the website i gave you the link for and did you read all the pages on the chrysler 4 speed trans Just google Chrysler A-604 trans or Chrysler 4 speed Auto trans. Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge four-speed automatic transmission repairs

Guest camc61

Yes But I tried that and lately when I pull over turn off key and restart and go again it has been reving up to about 4000 rpm and goes right back into limp mode.If I pull over get out of car and reach under the car and unplug the PRNDL switch and or unplug the big single wire comming off the pos side of battery and plug them back in again and then take off it will usually shift ok till I stop and take off again.but sometimes only a couple of minutes it will go back into limp.

Edited by camc61
info (see edit history)

Guest camc61

Gary Hicks wrote:

[if the transmission fails after takeoff, check] the electrical terminal that bolts into the computer housing that is mounted on the transmission. This is an electrical terminal and it bolts on to the computer box that is below the radiator fan and mounted on the transmission. Because of the poor design of this terminal it becomes a well and holds water. This happend to me on my 1992 3.3 Voyager. The transmission would not change gears without turning off the ignition to reset the computer. I used air to blow it out and the problem was solved. [i discovered it when replacing the sensors based on the advice on your site.] Webmaster note: Chrysler integrated their engine and transmission computers later in the decade.

Is this refering to the solenoid pack?That is the only thing I can see on trans at bottom of radiator...

Hi everyone new to site.I have a 1990 3.0 TC bought it for 400.00 on the 3rd almost everything works it has 107,000 engine is strong but having problems with the brakes (i listed that problem earlier) and the trans. car drives but doesn't shift out of 1st. i tried all positions on gear shifter. fluid is nice and red no burnt smell it does slip a little on take off. i tried it again and took off slower this time and it shifted. but when came to stop it down shifted a little hard.when I took off again it didn't shift out of first again. could it be an elect problem? if anyone can help I appreciate it

thanks

Don't waste your time with that oil change stuff. The transaxle needs to come out and be rebuilt. The seller of your car obviously knew what he was selling, hence the low price.

Whoops!! I thought you wrote that your trans had progressed to normal driving and occasionally went into limp mode. If I understand what I read now .. It almost never drives correctly and is almost always in limp mode, I'm afraid it's a lost cause O'Haul Time.. LZ

Guest camc61

well finally fixed it,all this time it was the input sensor i replaced it today drove the car and reprogramed the computer it only went into limpmode once when I first started out I pulled over turned off car then restarted it i have driven now 30 miles some stop and go and no more limp mode.What a relief.

Guest My TC Toy

Your perservance paid off but I remind you of post 23, you could have saved yourself some time and trouble. Now that that is straightened out, don't forget another fluid change to get the remainder of that crap out of your tranny.