1990 TC

Guest camc61

Guest camc61

Hi everyone new to site.I have a 1990 3.0 TC bought it for 400.00 on the 3rd almost everything works it has 107,000 engine is strong but having problems with the brakes (i listed that problem earlier) and the trans. car drives but doesn't shift out of 1st. i tried all positions on gear shifter. fluid is nice and red no burnt smell it does slip a little on take off. i tried it again and took off slower this time and it shifted. but when came to stop it down shifted a little hard.when I took off again it didn't shift out of first again. could it be an elect problem? if anyone can help I appreciate it

thanks

Edited by camc61
added info (see edit history)

Guest LouZ

A 604 Electronic transmission is very problematic. it has a safety mode built in. called "Limp Mode" = limp home when there is a problem (2nd gear). The trans has it's own computer, mounted on the front inside passenger fender, and the reader plug is BLUE and can be found under the dash on the driver side next to the fuse panel. This will take a good transmission shop or a good dealer service dept. to diagnose. it is nothing more than a Chrysler 4speed Overdrive transmission. It will work properly on only 1 type of transmission fluid. That is Chrysler Type 3 or Type 4 (3 is early, 4 is more modern.) You may not be able to find Type 3 any longer Many transmissions were cured simply by changing fluid and filter to the correct type.For much more info from guys that have been experts on this exact problem, go to: and read it all. Good Luck, Lou

Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge four-speed automatic transmission repairs

Guest camc61

Not sure what type of fluid is in her I just picked up car yesterday I know on the trans stick it says use dextron 3 fluid is that the same or?I will change the fluid and filter and see if makes work.

thanks

Guest camc61

Ok so I guess better to change fluid and know it is correct.but would that make it not shift sometimes.? and I know I can't change the torq conv so will it hurt to mix?Or do I need to go have them suck it from the torq?

Guest camc61
Ok so I guess better to change fluid and know it is correct.but would that make it not shift sometimes.? and I know I can't change the torq conv so will it hurt to mix?Or do I need to go have them suck it from the torq?
Also how many quarts do I need for just a pan and filter change?

Guest LouZ

In my last post I gave you the link to go directly to the ALLPAR forum site that is all about the trans.. Did you glick on the link and read all about your transmission and troublres.?? 4-5 qts. should do it. USE ONLY MOPAR +4 TRANS FLUID & FILTER. NOT SOME GENARIC REPLACEMENT.

Guest camc61

Yes I checked out site but couldn;t find any info on how many quarts I was thinking about using air pressure to the suction line to flush fluid short burst each time and pumping clean atf+4 through. or is that not nessesary?will the delution be ok

Guest BarelyFit

The book calls for (4) four quarts and then check dip stick. Bring engine to operating temp and add sufficient fluid to bring level to 1/8 in below "ADD" mark.

Guest BarelyFit

It really is not that difficult. It is mostly messy. It is pretty good idea to clean the magnet and change the filter also.

Edited by BarelyFit (see edit history)

Guest camc61

Thanks for the info I'll change the filter and clean magnet i just didn't know if the trans has dexron in it if i need to flush the lines and tork or if just deluting it with the correct fluid would be enough?

Guest BarelyFit

I did a search and found this from Imported TwinCamFan:

I suggest a good tranny service/flush. really not all that tough to do yourself and you can do it better than most shops would anyway... Basically, get under the car, drop the pan (careful, draining the fliud is a mess, big drain pan and lots of newspaper) change the filter/gasket and reinstall the pan. Here is the little known trick to changing ALL the trans fluid. refill the trans with new fluid (I like to add a couple quarts of B&M "Trick shift" great stuff IMO) and get like two quarts ahead. Then take a line loose at the cooler, put a clear pice of PVC tubing onto the hardline and run it into a bucket. Start the car and the trans pump will flush the fluid out for you, careful it generates a bunch of pressure. Only start the car for 10-15 seconds until 2-3 quarts drain out. then add more fluid inot the trans fill, and repeat until CLEAN fluid apperas in the clear PVC tubing. Doing it this way flushes out the entire system including the torque convertor.

Guest camc61

Hello, I went to the auto parts store and got a filter kit for a 1990 TC took it home removed pan and found out it was way different the gasket and filter i got where to small took it back to the store with my pan and found the correct one was for a 1990 labaron with 4 speed trans. the eng says on top chrysler v6 3.0 are there two diffent motors for labaron and the tc or maybe someone changed the trans? the fluid that was in the trans smelled different than the Atf+4 i got to refill,this may be why my dipstick says use dextron fluid. i don't know if I should use the dextron or the atf+4 ???? By the way the filter kit I had to use was a T139 not the one for the 90 TC

Edited by camc61
more info (see edit history)

Guest My TC Toy

Do NOT Use Dextron in a A-604 tranny. Use only Chrysler type ATF-4 (68026608-AA). Just to make a point NO DEXTRON!!!!

Hello, I went to the auto parts store and got a filter kit for a 1990 TC took it home removed pan and found out it was way different the gasket and filter i got where to small took it back to the store with my pan and found the correct one was for a 1990 labaron with 4 speed trans. the eng says on top chrysler v6 3.0 are there two diffent motors for labaron and the tc or maybe someone changed the trans? the fluid that was in the trans smelled different than the Atf+4 i got to refill,this may be why my dipstick says use dextron fluid. i don't know if I should use the dextron or the atf+4 ???? By the way the filter kit I had to use was a T139 not the one for the 90 TC

I think camc61 is concerned that someone may have swapper trannies. I think Louz has had experience with the TC trannies and any idiosyncrasies with filters and such.

MyTCToy, what would be the easiest/best way to confirm what tranny is in a TC. Is it common to get incorrect tranny filters like Camc did?? I have a 90 3.0 and was thinking about a filter and fluid change on my as well....I would like to avoid this kind of issue if I can....

Guest LouZ

Where did you get the parts,??? LeBaron & TC are the same trans.

As to the actual different trans. Possible but I doubt it. Too hard to fit anything else to that engine, & Chassis. NO CHRYSLER AUTO WANTS DEXTRON. The 3 speed behind the 4 cyl. don't really care, like the 4speed does, but it really don't want it either. I sent you the link to the Allpar pages. Other than them there are plenty more explaining the difference in the Chrysler Auto trans compared to the rest

I would suggest you be very careful with that car. It sounds like a Junk yard Gorilla had all his hands in there doing the wrong thing

Edited by LouZ (see edit history)

Guest LouZ

MB,

You gotta get the parts & fluid from Chrysler. All of those 3.0 engines are the same. LeBaron, Voyager, Chrysler, Dodge. They are all actually. Mitsus. All of the 4 spd autos are actually the same early called A-604, later & now called 41TE. Samo, Samo Upgrades only.....

Guest My TC Toy

Mad B. -I don't think there is any problem with your tranny, at least most likely not, Like Lou said it simply won't fit. If you want to be sure look at the front left side (drivers side) of the tranny. You should see two what looks like large bolts with wiring harnesses attached. The front one is the PRNDL switch and the one on the drivers side is the neutral safety switch. Also on the front side, just above the base are 6 taps used for testing. Just above this again to the right on the front is the output speed sensor and to the left of this is the input speed sensor.

Guest camc61

Thanks for info,I changed the fluid with the ATF+4 and put a can of seafoam for trans in it Someone told me the Solenoid pack my be gumed up so i have been driving it to see what hapens.Sometimes first thing in the morn i will start to drive and it will want to shift but goes right back to second then from there out stays in second.I have been reading up on these trans,It poss could be the speed sensor or the solenoid pack can you jump the speed sensor or anything I can do to check like maybe ohm the switches?Also is there a throttle pressure cable on these trans? I only see two cables on the throttle I know one is for the cruise and other for the pedal

Guest BarelyFit

Cam:

I had a dodge van that was doing the same thing. When you get to 30mph or so, shift into N and then into drive. Mine shifted every time that way. After a month of doing that, it started shifting on its own. That went on for many months. Then when it got hot it would go back to its old ways and I went back to shifting it whenever it got hot. Then without warning at 306,051 it left me stranded on the interstate with a big puddle of blood (trans fluid) on the highway. I had it towed directly to pick and pull.

Good Luck. Keep at it.

Guest camc61

been there done that.I tried shifting into nuetral and back again still same thing. I'm going to check the speed sensors tomarrow and go from there.there is alot of oil on the bottom end of eng due to a leaky vavle cover gasket so this car needs tlc

Guest My TC Toy

Sounds to me l,ike a speed sensor. The controller is not getting the info it needs to operate properly. If your speedo does not work it is more than likely the output speed sernsor. This is located on the front of the tranny towards the drivers side. If the speedo does work it is possibly the input speed sensor, but this is probably not the case.

Another suggestion I would make is to change the transmission fluid again and do not put anythingn in there except the fluid. NO additives. The use of anything but Type 4 fluid and additives cause more problems than they can possibly cure.

Hope this was some help.

Good luck.

Guest My TC Toy

Another thought (ouch!) would be to run an on-board diagnostic. You know turn key on-off-on-off-on and count flashes on the dash light. That may bge of some help.

Guest camc61

Yes my spedometer works but not my odometer.I was told it may be the solenoids sticking and to change fluid and put a can of seafoam in it.so i didthe trans wistles alittle when driving not real loud but you can here it.is there somewhere that tells you the code for the flashes?I'll try it

thanks

Guest My TC Toy

The speedo and odometer are mechanically linked. If the odo is not working the planitary gear is cracked. It needs to be replaced. This was detailed on previous threads.

My guess is the input speed sensor is defective. They should run about $25. It is located about 8" above the basepan in the centre front of the tranny.

Again, though I would get all foreign fluids out of the tranny Use TYPE-4 fluid ONLY, no additives, etc.

Code information is in the service manual or just let us know what you found. Careful when counting the flashes and remember they are double didgit, eg- 1-7-3-4- etc is actually 17, 34 etc. I think 55 is end of test.

Guest camc61

I just went to napa and the guy there says he use to work on these cars and i told him my problem he said the most common sensor to go out is the output sensor so i got one if you think input sensor i'll take it back an exchange it let me know what you think

thanks

Edited by camc61
error (see edit history)

Guest My TC Toy

Here is the way it is. I am not there and I do not know ALL the details except for what you said. Normally, if the car is in limp mode and the speedometer is NOT working it is the Output Sensor. This is a best guess scenerio, any time a part is not physically broken it requires a lot of testing and experience to diagnose. You said that the spedo IS working, therefore the system is getting the correct information from the output sensor, at least to run the spedo. See the ligic?

Did you do a on-board diagnostic?

Do you know a tranny shop that can plug in the tranny diagnostic and see what shows up?

Guest camc61

Hello just did the onboard diagn with the key it is flashing 1-2-5-5 so does that mean error code 12 55 means end correct?

Guest camc61

my book wich is for 1989 says error 12 on the 3.0 V6 is( direct battery imput to controller disconected within the last 50 ignition key ons) what does that mean?

Edited by camc61
more info (see edit history)

Usually means the cars battery has been disconnected recently. Sometimes a TC doesn't run right for a few starts/runs/turnoffs after the battery has been disconnected. It could also mean that you need to really clean the battery posts and the positive cable quick connect, corrosion at these points can lead to voltage interruptions going to the wire harness.

Hey David,

That would be one of the best reasons to pull that big connector behind the battery, & check all the fusible links, & all grounds. lz

Guest My TC Toy

Error code 12 means most likely that you had your battery disconnected recently and some memory may have been lost. Nothing to worry about. 55 is end of thet, ie, no problems showing up.

I would suggest to try to find a shop with the diagnostic equipt to plug in the transmission diagnostic, this will tell you the problen. It may cost a few bucks, but it is cheaper than replacing parts that you are uncertain are defective. It may also show up a problem that you may not be aware of and thereby head off other problems. I know we all hate spending money on diagnostics, especially when money is so tight, but with this tranny and so many sensors, it is well worth the expense.

Guest camc61

Thanks I think I'll try to clean all grounds and connections today if that doesn't work then i'll take it to a trans shop.thanks for your help guys

Guest camc61

Ok took the car to a trans shop about 15 miles away (closest one) Drove there in limp mode 45 MPH when i got there the guy hook up his scanner to the blue plug under dash couldn't get to the trans option couldn't read it.He was going to hook up to the plug under hood(frnt left shock tower) but had no connector.Said he would call me when he found one.Ok so I get in car and start to drive away the car shifts perfect all the way home.Wierd... so I wait about 30 min.get back in car drive down the road it shift good sometimes OD takes awhile.it sometimes shifts at 35 40 MPH and other times goes to 55 60 for awhile then shifts to overdrive.Is it possable the relay packs wher pluged and changing the fluid with ATF 4 and adding a can of trans seafoam and driving car is working? beats me.But seem to be shifting better each day...

what do you think?

Guest camc61

Well hopefuly things are looking up.tThanks to all for all the advice. I now learned something new.If you don't hear from I have the top down and gone.

thanks

Guest My TC Toy

Glad to hear the trans seens to be working OK. I would suggest that you change thew fluid once more without any additive. Cheap preventative measure.

Guest camc61

Good Idea I was going to run it about another 100 miles and then do another complete flush

I think then it will be ok.Then i just have to do a cooling system flush and some new plug wires and plugs.I just hope I'm not throwing good money after bad.

thanks again for all the help

Cliff