Down draft tube

Guest Frenchy32

Guest Frenchy32

Anyone on the forum using a down draft tube as seen on the 1955 to 1957 T Birds and on other earlier Fords on the side of the oil pan. I am installing them as I rebuild V12 engines for my customers it was recommended in the years past to improve the build up of crankcase pressure instead of having to see fumes out of the oil cap if you were to install them on the oil pan is a better way to go. It was also recommended in the Lincoln V12 bulletin with the dimension and where to install it on the left side of the oil pan. You can see pictures of my 1948 Lincoln V12 motor in my 1932 Ford Hot Rod

Thanks

Frenchy

Frenchysrides.com

Edited by Frenchy32 (see edit history)

Frenchie:

I have one of those down draft tubes on a 312 Y block, currently in a well worn 56 County Sedan. I hate the thing. Either the filter gets plugged up and then the valve cover gaskets leak due to the internal pressure, putting oil on the exhaust manifold which eats the exhaust gasket, and then the vehicle is noisy tic. tic. tic. exhaust leak. If the filter isn't plugged, it blows oil which then drips all over my garage floor. I got a carburetor spacer with a provision for a PCV valve. All I need to do is run a hose from the hole in the side of the block where the draft tube is mounted. I think the V-12 Lincoln would benefit from a similar solution. My V-12 is worn enough to put vapor out the oil fill tube. Previous owner plugged in a piece of heater hose in the oil fill pipe to run under the car. There is already a hole in the V-12 intake manifold for a pipe to the air cleaner that could be used for a PCV valve. You could then plug the other end of the PCV valve into a carburetor spacer, or drill a hole in the carb base and insert a pipe nipple. Hopefully your oil pan mounter breather is better baffled so as to not blow out oil.

Abe

Hi Frenchy,

Is this the down draft tube you are using?

This was already on the V-12 engine in my 1939 Zephyr convertible when I got the car. I have never opened it up to see the filter. Further, I have no idea where to get a replacement filter, or where to get another down draft tube unit to install on the replacement engine for my 1941 Continental.

I would imagine that a T-bird parts vendor would have them, or do you have another source?

By the way, I believe I met you some 30 years ago when I lived in La Crescenta, California. At that time I was driving a 1947 Continental coupe with a 1957 Lincoln drivline and owned no V-12 cars. I still have the '47 Continental. Photos in my Webshots screen saver albums listed below.

post-31768-143138090819_thumb.jpg

Guest Frenchy32

Hi Phil

That is correct the down draft tube you have is the same one I had installed on my 41 Zephyr when I had rebuild my first V12 . The filter element is easy to clean solvent and blow dry and use again. You should check it more often . Easy to maintain. I have locate a few of them here in Phoenix. I will install one of them on the V12 engine I am building for Harold from Tucson AZ. You can see pictures of my 1932 Hot Rod Lincoln on my web site,on the main page click on the 32 at the bottom and you can see the motor.

Thanks

Frenchy

Frenchysrides.com

If your engine is built correctly, without sloppy machine work, wont blow by gasses be minimal with high rpm operation , carb draw tube and modern high quality oil, and I hope solid guides..........

Arn't non factory mods overkill for the minimal driving these cars actually do ??

Cut a hole in the oil pan..?? I did it, tried the 58 ford draw tube with screen for about 10,000 miles and still a little sludge..I say use better oil..

keep r's up..

You guys drive more than 1000 miles a year?? 100 miles a year??

And your gonna cut a hole ??

c'mon

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

Guest Frenchy32

The engine in question is not original for a Zephyr go to my website and you will see it is for a 1932 Hot Rod Lincoln. Click on the 32 Hot Rod and you can see pictures of the engine.

Frenchy

Frenchysrides.com

Guest Arick

Anything is better than nothing !!! My HV-12 pumps the fumes (and the oil) out the oil filler tub all over the place! I have a manifold with a 1" hole drilled and tapped for plumming, which is then run under the vehicle. I kept that stuff because it was a very old fix, and was done quite well actually. It adds a bit to the story too. The pan attached unit would be cool too, as would the PCV plate under the carb. Just a question on the plate technique, where would you affix the hose? How about a PCV valve and grommet in the manifold, then plummed to the carb spacer? That could probably be hidden pretty well, not detracting too much as long as it didn't attract too much attention? My '66 fairlane actually has a metal tube plummed into the manifold utilizing a rubber tube from the PCV valve in the valve cover to the fragile metal tube. Same concept.

I have to say, if it is an oil belching stinking thing, then yes, either fix it right, (machine tolerances) or plumb vents and things...

I had an engine that belched so much that i ran a hose from oil filler into aircleaner, later when it was too much for the engine..a ran a draw tube off breather to dangle under car..now a tight engine, no smoke at all, in draws air in the oil filler / vent as I believe it was designed....at least for now!! about 15,000 on rebuild...I switched to valvoline full synthetic 20-50..engine loves it..