Identifying Buick Nailhead engine

dei

OK, I'm starting the long process of organizing one of my garages and have come across an engine I moved years ago, shoved it the back corner and will likely not be using as I think it is older than my 58's.

Have not taken a picture yet but here is a brief description: has the spark plug side covers, vibration dampener has only one grove for a water pump belt, intake is for a two barrel carb. At this point have not tried to turn it over (sitting on 4x4's on the floor - garage insulated) so condition is unknown right now.

Can it be determined what year car it fits by this or suggestions as no way do I want to junk this before it could be used by somebody else. Thanks, Doug.

Plan on getting back in there on Sunday. Once I get more things moved out of the way will get a picture and try to see if it is free. Would that make it a 322 then? Thanks, Doug.

p.s. As I come across things that I don't feel I will use, will post in the hopes of trading for things for my 58's. (My time to do this has come)

If it's a 56 it's a 322. If it's earlier, it's most likely a 263/264. Here's some additional infor I just learned from the Standard Catalog of Buicks.

Since it is a two barrel carb,

1953 The Special would have the 263, the Super model would have the 322

1954 same thing

1955, The special would have the same thing, but the Super would now have a 4 bbl carb.

1956 All models had the 322 and the Special alone had a 2 bbl carb.

There was a redesign of the harmonic balancer in 56 which would isolate that year. The other years probably need the engine number, and the services of Dave Corbin's database of information.

If it's a 56 it's a 322. If it's earlier, it's most likely a 263/264. Here's some additional infor I just learned from the Standard Catalog of Buicks.

Since it is a two barrel carb,

1953 The Special would have the 263, the Super model would have the 322

1954 same thing

1955, The special would have the same thing, but the Super would now have a 4 bbl carb.

1956 All models had the 322 and the Special alone had a 2 bbl carb.

There was a redesign of the harmonic balancer in 56 which would isolate that year. The other years probably need the engine number, and the services of Dave Corbin's database of information.

Lets see, close but off on a couple.....:P;)

1953 The Special would have the 263 Straight Eight, the Super model would have the 322V-8 with 2bbl carb

1954 The Special would have the 264 V-8 w 2 bbc, the Super would have the 322 V-8 w/2 bbl carb

If it has a pulley instead of a harmonic balancer it is likely a 1954 264.

If you will look, there is an engine serial number on the left side of the cylinder block at the top. In 54, I know the last digit was the series ie 4= 40/Special. 5=50/Super, 6 = 60/Century, 7 = 70/Roadmaster, not sure about 55,56

post the engine numbers and we can tell what it is

Alright Guys & Gals,

After an agonizing Sunday trying to uncover (dispose of as my wife would wish) the motor (plus other collectibles) and having a main power supply failure to the garage (yes the bad luck continues! http://forums.aaca.org/images/smilies/mad.gif) here is what I have to report: the block has a cast number located at the back below the distributor (not stamped at the top front near the water pump) and reads 1165752. Is this the engine number that dates this one or am I missing one somewhere else under the dirt and grease.

Second, hopefully my pictures will be attached and help but `if` not posting.... the crank pulley is single as stated before and the design has a three spoke wheel look rather than a deep dish damper design. The other thing that I noticed is what I believe top be a dual action fuel pump (correct wording...) rather than my 58`s design.

Thanks for any help here. Patience on posting pics with this new upgrade, I seem to be learning slower, Doug.

post-36036-143138089649_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143138089653_thumb.jpg

I'm gonna say it's a 55 264 based on the 55 fuel pump, oil filler holes in the rocker covers and the pulley vs a harmonic balancer. Did you read my post above re the engine numbers. Again, they are STAMPED, not molded on the top outer edge of the left cylinder bank, between the middle branches of the exhaust manifold. I bet the number ends in a 4

Mr Earl,

Thanks for your input. I will try and move it off the wall to view the Stamped number to confirm this. Reread your notes and thought it would be between the valve covers and intake somewhere but must have been too frustrated to think clearly! Now that there is a path and light will go over it again and thanks.

Should it be as you suggest is there any value to it? Not sure about turning over (free) yet. I think it is sitting a bit on the wood frame so will have to check this. I have found the exhaust manifolds and believe the carb and starter are in here somewhere. The water pump turns quietly by hand and spins a bit. Really need to clean things up and hope someone could make use of things I don't need, Doug.

Finally! Moved this boat anchor, scrapped off the crud and here is the number I3347574. The first number looks more like a letter than a 1 but based on what you bet the last number to be MrEarl will wait for the experts here.

Have now come across (moving more stuff) an intake for a nail head that is for three two barrel carbs but no carbs or linkage. Any ideas of price? Thanks to all so far, Doug.

Since Mike and Willie, the two real 55 "Experts" haven't answered yet, let me give it a shot. The 4 on the end does equal a Special engine which would be a 264 and the rest of the number - 1,334,757 - falls in the 1955 engine range which is between (and I'm taking this from memory :D) 720,080 and 1,460,023.

Now let's talk about that 3 deuce intake you found. Now that's a real boat anchor there. But I tell ya what ol' MrEarl will do. I'll bet you a set of 1945 Buick Portholes against that worthless intake that I'm right about the engine. :D

shadup Mike and Willie:p

Dearest Lamar,

I DID respond earlier when I thought it had a harmonic balancer. Since it just has a pulley, it is definitely a 264. Unfortunately, this is the least desireable Nailhead. Definitely a boat anchor. The 3 deuce manifold (for Mr. Earl's sake) is also a boat anchor. In reality, those 3 deuce setups are available with carbs, linkage, intake, plus gaskets for around a grand. So... In reality, some value there, but certainly under 300 bucks.

While the 264 will not be in high demand (for use in 55 Specials where they were installed) due to being tough and durable, all nailheads are in great demand by rodders. Also everything except the pistons, intake and block are interchangeable with the 322 used in the other series Buicks. Rodders will also want the 3 duece manifold; it is just 'eye-candy' since it is a pain to set up and doesn't flow as well as one 4-barrel.

Willie

Dearest Lamar,

I DID respond earlier when I thought it had a harmonic balancer. Since it just has a pulley, it is definitely a 264. Unfortunately, this is the least desireable Nailhead. Definitely a boat anchor. The 3 deuce manifold (for Mr. Earl's sake) is also a boat anchor. In reality, those 3 deuce setups are available with carbs, linkage, intake, plus gaskets for around a grand. So... In reality, some value there, but certainly under 300 bucks.

Sorry,

Didn't mean to say the 264 was completely trash. It is an awesome engine...

BUT it IS the least desirable due to least cubic inches. Plus anybody wanting to rebuild a Special will most likely put a 322 in :D

Obviously the second half of my post needs the tongue in cheek "smiley".

Just send the manifold to Mr. Earl and I won't have to buy it!

I was just jiving about the manifold. I'm holding out for an Edmunds dual Carter quad set up. the manifold would do well on eBay. Be sure to include "nailhead" in the title. if you happen to have the spark plug covers laying around they would do well also.

THANKS TO ALL who have offered help and advice on my nail head. I definitely won't be using this engine myself since my interests are the 58's. I've never tried to sell anything on E-bay and not sure based on what this motor is (55 Special 264 vs 322) that it would be worth the effort as now it appears to be stuck and the two barrel intake has a broken tab (corner bolt hole casting) near the coil side that makes this useless too. Oh, and while I have not put my hands on the spark plug side covers just yet (I know they are here) both studs are broken on the left bank head so again thinking now FREE TO GOOD HOME might be the way to go.

I will be doing SOMETHING with this before the winter as time (clearing up) is pressing so spread the word and maybe it can be saved / useful to somebody?

My comment about it being a boat anchor was more the fact I had been to a car show and Miss America X was on display and after trying to move my motor around forgot just how heavy these things are especially without my engine lift! Once again, want to thank everyone for the help, Doug.

• 2 years later...

Hello

I have a 1955 Buuick special 46R, The enginer serial number stamped on the left side is 1166349-9, can anyone tell me what motor this is? I believe the dash means the engine is .010 OS from the factory, but that is all I know.

Thanks for your help

Take Care

Ron

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 width=300 bgColor=#ffffcc><TBODY><TR><TD>1166349</TD><TD>53-56</TD><TD>264/322</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 width=300 bgColor=#ffffcc><TBODY><TR><TD>1166349</TD><TD>53-56</TD><TD>264/322</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

That's the cylinder head casting # for a '53-56 264/322

Team Buick Forum

That's the cylinder head casting # for a '53-56 264/322

Team Buick Forum

How do I determine if I have a 264 or a 322 engine?

Take Care

Ron

The 322 has a harmonic balance the 264 just has a pulley.

Hello,

Thank you for making it clear what to look for. The car is out in the parking lot at work and I am headed out to see what I have, kind of hoping it is a 322.

Thank you for you r time and your help.

Take Care

Ron

• 5 months later...

Archived