1928 Pontiac Ignition Cable

Guest Len Sholes

Guest Len Sholes

I am wondering if anyone can tell me the procedure for removing the ignition cable from the transmission cover. Also is there anyone who can repair the ignition/key assembly or know where a person might be able to obtain another cable assembly. The one that is on the car has a piece of the metal where the key fits in missing. I also do not have a key for the ignition

• 3 years later...
Guest muledeer
I am wondering if anyone can tell me the procedure for removing the ignition cable from the transmission cover. Also is there anyone who can repair the ignition/key assembly or know where a person might be able to obtain another cable assembly. The one that is on the car has a piece of the metal where the key fits in missing. I also do not have a key for the ignition

If you are fortunate to have enough of the pin by the shift lever/ cable entry on top of the transmission exposed and you are able to pull it out with a vise grip than you are done , however if the pin is flush or below surface , remove the four bolts holding the transmission cover,turn it over and you will see a small hole on one side of the shift plate, position the gear lever until the shifting fork doesn't block access through this hole to the pin on top, then drive pin out with a roll punch , then pull cable out.