HELP! Doing Cam Magnet Now

BrentS

I just removed the remnants of the old/deteriorated magnet and plastic housing, and I am getting close to glueing in the new one.

What flat metal piece is on the bottom of the magnet hole? Do I have to avoid glueing the magnet to this bottom (or "floor") of the magnet hole? Does it rotate with the timing chain gear, or no?

I tried to attach a photo.

Thanks!

post-50795-14313808817_thumb.jpg

I am guessing what you are seeing is the engine block. The magnets were designed to be put in from the back side of the cam gear and pushed through the hole until the tabs in Padgett's picture snap into place on the front of the gear. I would be careful not to get any JB weld on the end of the magnet when putting it in the hole but if you do the first time you rotate the engine, even with the cured JB Weld, that will shear off and should not be a problem.

Unless of course a gob of it stays on the block and on the second revolution that gob knocks the magnet forward towards the sensor and ruins the new magnet.

Okay, I'm all done. Now I wait a while for the JB Weld to cure/dry.

I ground down the shoulder on the plastic magnet housing so that there was a chamfer with a diameter that was slightly larger than the hole in the gear. This made a type of one-way snap, which I hope may help keep the magnet assembly in place; and it did help while inserting the magnet into the gear. I sketched up the drawing of the end-product, after grinding. And I attached a pic of the glued-in-place magnet assembly. It was a GM part, which had an all-plastic housing encapsulating the magnet (you can see the 'Mexico" writing on the top. I sure hope this thing stays in place.

post-50795-143138088215_thumb.jpg

post-50795-14313808822_thumb.jpg

I believe that what is at the back of the hole is the cam flange to which the sprocket is bolted. Does not matter if get some JB Weld there. Do not want any sticking on the end of the magnet because there is only about .020" clearance between the magnet and the sensor.

Well, it's holding so far.

Imagine if the magnet hole in the gear was tapped, and the magnet assembly was threaded and had a hex shape. Wouldn't that make for a simple replacement. Whoever designed this magnet assembly should have been fired.

Guest THEHKP7M13
Well, it's holding so far.

Imagine if the magnet hole in the gear was tapped, and the magnet assembly was threaded and had a hex shape. Wouldn't that make for a simple replacement. Whoever designed this magnet assembly should have been fired.

I found myself saying that a lot when I use to work on cars. Most o fthe time its not the engineers fault. It the accountants, who dicate that the car is to be built as cheaply as possible and part of that is quickly as possible too. There is pretty much no thought to the process of every having to replace a part on the car when they are building them.