'65 Door Panel Wood Replacement

Patrick91914

Has anyone out there replaced the door panel wood inserts using one of the wood replacement kits? I got as far as separating the "frame" from the door panel and saw no easy way to remove the old wood. I have no experience here (except for the console inserts). Is the best way just to have a upholstery shop do the work? Would be interest to know if anyone has gone that route.

I'm thinking of soaking them in water for a few weeks to soften/remove, but I want to know if there is a better approach. Also,

Edited by Patrick91914 (see edit history)

Guest REX STALLION

I used a syringe filled with lacquer thinner to release the bond. Start at a corner, ease a wee bit of thinner under the edge and coax it along with a putty knife. to apply the new panels, I used a spray adhesive ( 3M super 77) . after masking off the chrome bits.

I used a syringe filled with lacquer thinner to release the bond. Start at a corner, ease a wee bit of thinner under the edge and coax it along with a putty knife. to apply the new panels, I used a spray adhesive ( 3M super 77) . after masking off the chrome bits.

I suspect that this would not be an easy task. My weekend is now booked.

Guest REX STALLION
I suspect that this would not be an easy task. My weekend is now booked.

It will be easier than you think !

Guest ejc65

When I did mine I removed all the chrome pieces they came apart relatively easy I then took off old wood paneling with putty knife then proceeded to bead blast all residue from main panel installed new wood kit polished all chrome pieces then installed reverse order from tear down. Scale of 1-10 about a 5 on difficulty. My advice tear into it and if you find it is to complex for you just label every thing as it came off. You will find it is tedious but not brain surgery.

Guest musclecarfan65

i've done a replacement of the complete interior wood with a kit from randy rymal in 2006 and i found it not so difficult. please be careful when removing the "chrome" parts, i removed the remains of the old glue with WD-40 & brake cleaner.

Several folks have described removing the chrome parts and I'm not sure what's being described. I've separated the metal panel to which the wood is secured from the door panel. Is that the chrome that's being described or can the metal panel be further broken down?

Yes, the chrome trim on the panel that you removed comes off.

I can see that it separates from the panel; however, I can't see hot to remove without damaging the trim. What's the secret?

I've started soaking the first panel in a lacquer thinner. I made a pan from a sheet of aluminum foil, laid in the panel and covered with the thinner. I hope this breaks down the adhesive allowing for EZ wood removal.

I wasn't able to make any progress this weekend towards removing the old wood. The lacquer thinner didn't help and I think a I need to use a different solvent.

My biggest challenge is removing the frame surrounding the panel. It's won't separate from the back panel. How is this done without damaging the frame sections? Please help!

Guest REX STALLION

There is a channel that the trim clips over,take the ends off first. Run a putty knife along the edge , there are slight nubs that the trim clips over. Go from the inside and twist slightly. Once you get a corner of the veneer up , use the syringe to ease the lacquer thinner between the veneer and the steel . The wood panels originally had a foil backer on them.Perhaps this is why soaking them didn`t work as the thinner could not penetrate the foil to soften the adhesive

It took me few days, but I've figured it out. I took someone's suggestion to slide a scraper between the wood and the trim and gently lifted/twisted/pushed the trim outward. . The trim is retained by humps which protrude from the wood covered back panel. Once a side piece is removed, the top and bottom trim can be slid from the back panel in the the direction of the side trim that was removed. To remove the opposite side just repeat the process.

Since I'd soaked the panel in lacquer thinner, it peeled off in one piece.

• 3 weeks later...

I used Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) to release the wood from the metal backing some years ago. Everything else I tried including lacquer thinner was weak. Warning: be careful, wear gloves, and a respirator when working with MEK. It is dangerous, but isn't everything that works? I used to see it at Home Depot.