Brake Fluid thru the Pressure Switch

Guest gvttr

Guest gvttr

Hello, I have a 1990 with 84000 miles Affter the red and yellow brake lights remained on, I noticed fluid around and inside the electrical harness the serves the Brake pressure switch. I have not added fluid and the outside of the switch is dry. Fluid seems to be coming thru the switch. What's my next move?

Thanks,

Greg in Cinci OH

Guest gvttr

I have replaced the switch. Same thing happens. Should the fluid be escaping from the pump area. Shouldn't it stay behind the small daiphram where the switch and the pump meet.

Cool Juddev. I didn't know it could be gotten cheaper.

Weird new forum feature: "GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts" I totally didn't type that in my post, just the web address.

gvttr: if there is fluid inside the electrical connector of the switch, regardless of the age of the switch the only way it could get inside there is through the switch being faulty.

If you're sure that the leak isn't coming from the hoses/tubing you're probably looking at replacing the pump assembly. You need to take a close look.

• 4 months later...

You may find that the bore the cartridge seats in has pitting in the o-ring contact area. I replaced mine with a Quad Ring o-ring that has two contact points instead of one. It still has a real slow weep but far better than the old.

The ring is Buna-N material...I don't know the size as I just grabbed a selection at work and used the one with the best fit.