The Quakertown

I'm interested in information on an automobile called the "Quakertown", manufactured in Quakertown, Bucks Co., PA somewhere between 1904 and 1914. I've only ever seen one reference and one graphic of it. Thanks.

From the third edition of <span style="font-style: italic">Standard Catalog of American Cars - 1805-1942</span><blockquote><span style="font-weight: bold">QUAKERTOWN - Quakertown, Pennsylvania -- (1902-1904)</span> -- J.S. Nicholas was the proprietor of the Quakertown Buggy Works and in early 1902 he completed his first gasoline car. That summer <span style="font-style: italic">Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal</span> reported Nicholas' desire "to interest a partner with capital to go into the manufacture of automobiles." Apparently a partner was found because early in 1903 the name of the Quakertown Buggy Works was changed to Quakertown Automobile Manufacturing Company. A modest production is believed to have followed.</blockquote>Not much there, no production numbers, no pictures. Hope that helped.

Ply33,<BR>That information from the Standard Catalog is interesting. I checked my copy of the<BR>"Beaulieu Encyclopedia of the Automobile",<BR>and found no reference at all to the Quakertown car. Was it made under that name,<BR>or maybe made under then name of the constructor, Nicholas?

Graham~~ I quoted the Quakertown entry from the <span style="font-style: italic">Standard Catalog</span> in full. Generally the entry title is the name that the car was built/sold under, so I assume the car was called a Quakertown.<P>I do not have a copy of the <span style="font-style: italic">Beaulieu Encyclopedia</span> but have seen a lot of references to it. It sounds like a very complete and good reference, but maybe it is not totally complete.<P>I doubt that any reference can be complete for old cars. There were something over 5000 different makes of cars built over the years in the USA, I imagine that world wide there must be many times that. That is a lot of cars manufactures to track down and get information on.