1954 Buick Frame numbers

Guest phiftybuick

Guest phiftybuick

Hello all-

Can anyone tell me where the VIN is located on the frame of a '54 Special? The VIN tag in the door jamb is missing, but this car has been in the same family (& storage unit) for 25+ years. I know the family who bought it new, so I'm sure it's not stolen........

Up until '53 they were stamped on the top of the left frame rail, forward of the front crossmember. I've searched the top of the left rail, and cannot locate the numbers. Some 55-57 Chevrolets are rumored to have them stamped on the frame, just under the driver's seat location. I had a State Policeman look for it as well, and he couldn't find it either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

They are stamped on top of the left frame rail aft of the rear axle kick up. You pretty much have to lift the body to scrape off the layer of dirt and rust to even see it...........Bob

On my 55's it is on the Right or passenger side...still not visible tho.

It was also stenciled (painted) on the frame middle of driver side. If the car led a sheltered life it might be visible.

Willie

Guest phiftybuick

Well, I've taken the body loose on the left side, and raised it up an inch or so. I've lightly sanded the top rail (it's not very rusty) all the way from the master cylinder to the rear of the frame, and gone over it with a mirror & flashlight numerous times. I can see the stamping marks from when it was formed, but no #'s .

Willie says his '55 is on the right side;

I guess I'll start looking there.........................

My 55 is the same as Willie's

Right rear frame rail about ten inches from the rear of the frame. If you have the body lifted enough to clean this area up and still have a difficult time seeing the number just wet it with some water and as it dries the water stuck in the numbers will show up for a few extra seconds.

it's a tough area to get a look at though.

Good luck,

Rich

Not argueing with Willie, I wouldn't doubt it could be on the pass side. Sometimes the factory did funny things especially between different plants. I can say that on my 55, it's parts car, and my 57 it was on the left side. My 55 Olds was on the pass side. Go figure.........Bob

Guest phiftybuick

Took the bolts out & lifted the right rear body about 1 1/2", swept the dirt off, went over it with a piece of Scotchbrite, sprayed it down with brake cleaner.........I didn't see anything. The only place I couldn't see was right under the rubber biscuit, but there's a big hole there for the sleeve & body bolt. The state cop that looked at it said it was supposed to be around 6" from the rear of the frame, so from what everybody's saying, I must be in the right neighborhood. Maybe I need to clean it off a little better. I could see great detail on the metal. I can't imagine that this car would be any different than any other '54. Hmmmmm.....