Unusual Brown Staining of 1990 Gray Carpet

Roadster90

My 1990 Gray coupe has gray carpeting in otherwise very nice condition other than some very unusual dark tan to brown staining where Nothing has been spilt to cause the stain - Nothing! The coupe resides under a carport 90 + % of its life, and is not subjected to excessive element damage such as sun and rain. Has any one else experienced this staining and if so is there a reasonable explanation for it :(.

Thanks,

Nic

Edited by nic walker
typing error (see edit history)

Guest Richard D

Mine had some of that brown staining on the passenger side when I bought it. I made sure it was not due to rust before paying for the car. About half of it came up using a hot water extraction carpet cleaner. I finally used some carpet spray dye in dove gray and it covered it and matched the carpet perfectly. If you go that route get a small stiff brush and while it is still wet brush the pile to cover all sides of the fibers with dye and keep the pile soft. I used two coats then after it dryed completely (about an hour) I vacuumed it. It looks new. It is made by Dupli-color and called vinyl & fabric coating. Got mine at Advance auto.

Thanks for the reply Richard....I have some Gray SEM dye already but it is water based - I use it on leatherette and leather, but unsure if it is appropriate for carpet. I will call Thad at Vinyl Pro and ask. I am also going to attempt a search for the Dupli Color.....come to think of it, I think I have seen a Dupli Color Display a the Advance in Richmond.

Thanks again,

Nic