Texas Road Warriors: Rocky Mountain High

old-tank

Texas Road Warriors: Rocky Mountain High (interpret how you like).

Anyhow use the forum search function for our past adventures. I will be leaving Saturday morning, driving for at least a day to get out of this 100* heat. Bill Stoneberg is already on the road with a trailer. I hope the forums stay up enough for us to post often.

Willie

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Willie:

Send me a PM on your route plan. I'm leaving Sat AM for Denver and then to BCA Nationals.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Mystery Woodie Indeed...

ock.

I spent a day and a half in Southern Alabama working on the car to get it right. Then Friday morning the car went into the trailer and we started traveling.

Mobile to Jackson MS to Vicksburg to Shreveport. Spent the night in Shrevport where we found good Mexican food.

Saturday Shreveport to Dallas, did the scenic tour of Dallas as I 20 was totally closed. Nothing like exploring back streets with a 24 foor trailer.

Anyway back on the freeway to Sweetwater then up to Lubbock.

Met up with Willie and just had a Steak and a couple of Beers.

On to Colorado Springs tomorrow.

Fuel has been $ 2.50 @ gallon and I am getting under 10 mpg. But the 1 ton truck pulls with no problem.

I will post pictures as I can from the Nationals.

420 miles in 85-110* texas heat with the AC stuggling all the way. I finally got to see Bill's 1950 Super model 59 Estate Wagon (wood body='woody'....remember this is a family forum Peter ;) ).

After some good food and drink with friends, all is well.

Next stop Dillon Co where the temp range is between 41-61*

Nothing broken...

Willie

420 miles in 85-110* texas heat with the AC stuggling all the way. I finally got to see Bill's 1950 Super model 59 Estate Wagon (wood body='woody'....remember this is a family forum Peter ;) ).

After some good food and drink with friends, all is well.

Next stop Dillon Co where the temp range is between 41-61*

Nothing broken...

Willie

Tailgate party at Bill's '50 Estate wagon!

I am in Colorado and it is nice and cool.

2150 miles 5 days and god only know how much fuel. I stopped keeping track after the first thousand.

Roberta, I thought about the tailgate party while I was in Mississippi. If the watermelons that I bought are any good, we will have a feast. Spare tires in trailers can hold watermelons real well.

BTW, the hotel charges 10 bucks a day for internet acess and they only have 1 shared computer so updates may be kind sparse.

BTW, the hotel charges 10 bucks a day for internet acess and they only have 1 shared computer so updates may be kind sparse.

Dig deep Bill, this is the only way most of us can keep up with your adventure!!

That tailgate party sounds good but I'm not sure about watermelons, I'm more the COORS type remember!!

Have fun and take care.

Inject some fun into the party...inject the watermelons with vodka ;)

Now your talking! What good is a tailgaite party otherwise! The Old Guy says we can park the '69 Sportwagon with '50 Estate Wagon for 2 tailgates, we are bringing chairs too! See you all on Thursday!

On the way to Dillon Colorado our 55 Century scaled two passes: Hoosier and Loveland at 11-12,000 ft. Went up and down like a goat...a 3-legged and asthmatic goat. Kinda describes me when walking there. Actually the car did not do that bad, just lacked power, but that is what Low is for. All this time I'm thinking of all of those dynaflow parts I had in my grubby little hands.

This time I did not fry the transmission fluid...I had just installed a fan powered cooler in the frame rails. That and the electric fuel pump eliminated vapor lock. It was very hard starting at 12,000 ft and runs rich when cold...carb would need modifications if I lived here.

Off to Colorado Springs tomorrow, but first we have to endure more of this 55* weather and end the day at the Dam Brewery.

Willie

Been here 2 days now doing things with Dee. Got up at 5:30 this morning and went to Garden of the Gods. Beautiful with the morning light. Then to the Zoo all before noon.

I too found a brewery last night, good food and good beer. Cars are showing up and the vendors are starting to vend.

Its also getting warm.

Hope to see you all soon.

PS No vodka here, have to drink the juice of the Agave plant....

Let me see if I can post the photo I took yesterday of Ed Logan's 1959 underneath the drive-through awning of the U-Drop-Inn, an Art Deco restaurant & gas station, now restored as the Chamber of Commerce offices, in Shamrock, Texas on old Route 66, on the way to Colorado Springs.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

post-32059-143138087744_thumb.jpg

Howdy,

It's my turn to chime in. Got an early start this morning. My wife, son Woody, and my folks left at 6 am. None of the nightmare weather for us. A cold front blew through with rain yesterday, so the high was only 97. It rained off and on for the first few hours. Woody was bundled up in the back seat, claiming he was cold... I told him to remember that feeling in the afternoon. You could not have asked the car gods for a more beautiful day to hit the highways through west Texas. Cool temps and tailwinds. At around 3:30 I finally turned on the AC. It worked as well as 55 units can. The temp gauge stayed very comfortably in the "normal" zone. My dad (following in his 2004 Impala) said the outside temperature got to around 94. Not chilly, but not 112 either. Car is running flawlessly except for vapor lock, which I override with the electric fuel pump. No problem!

Everybody is taking turns "roughing it" in the 55. My wife says the Impalas seats are not nearly as comfy as the Buicks!

We made it over 600 miles today. I figure about 5 hours tomorrow getting us there around noon. Need to scrub the bugs off and find my brewery buddies.

See y'all at the breakfast. We will miss all of you who can't make it.

Adiós

Hope everyone made it safe and sound and are having a great time.

I been singin this song for the last week. Hopefully it won't stay in your head all day and everybody will be walking around singing it, he he he

YouTube - Don Gibson - Oh Lonesome Me

Well, kick the day off right with a round of Bloody Mary's at breakfast and enjoy. :)

And we'll be looking for pictures!!!!

Give me a call if there's any 54's or Black or Midnight Blue 92-93 Riviera's in the car corral.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

No '54s that I've seen yet Lamar...nice little '62 Special DeLuxe 4 door...for $1500, it would be a great start for someone into the hobby. There's also a pretty nice '57 Caballero and a '50 as well as a convertible...I want to say '70 Electra, but I don't recall for certain.

Home once again, 3624 miles with a 24 ' trailer behind me. Damn tailgaters....

Hot in Texas but cooler then when we left. 95 degrees versus 105 but it will be hot again this week.

I had a great time, got to see lots of nice cars and show off mine.

My 1950 Super Woodie won a Gold Senior and the Brashers award for top scoring car from 1946 - 1960. That was a surprise. I am glad they judged with the doors open.

Now to start planning Iowa.

We got back yesterday at around 2:30.

My car ran flawlessly except for occasional bouts of vapor lock. Cruised along at 65-70 mph all day.

1939 miles all together, averaged 15.5 mpg with AC on occasionally plus one mondo trip straight up a mountain to see the Cave of the Winds.

Had a ball seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Drank with a bunch of Australians. Those guys put me to shame!

The meet was very organized and I would like to congratulate and thank the Colorado folks for doing a fine job. Best Nat's t-shirt BTW.

I got my Senior Preservation award, so I can REALLY start driving it now...

Still mostly talking to my family. (Except when they were riding with me, since everybody used the Buick to nap in)

Home once again, 3624 miles with a 24 ' trailer behind me. Damn tailgaters....

Hot in Texas but cooler then when we left. 95 degrees versus 105 but it will be hot again this week.

I had a great time, got to see lots of nice cars and show off mine.

My 1950 Super Woodie won a Gold Senior and the Brashers award for top scoring car from 1946 - 1960. That was a surprise. I am glad they judged with the doors open.

Now to start planning Iowa.

Glad to see you and Mike made it backl. Your cars certainly deserved all the awards they got. They looked great! I only hope I can make it to Ames and see you all again.

Mike,

I just re-read my previous post and saw that I neglected to give accolades to your 55. It looks top me to be better than it could have been when it came off of the line.

Congratulations.

Stevo

Party's over

We arrived home yesterday at 4p and then immediately left to get the critters out of jail.

Observations:

2258 miles, short of my average of 3500 and well short of the 5300 two years ago.

15.3 mpg, down from my usual 15.7 average, probably due to half of the fillups were 10% ethanol.

Mike was a day late on his 'Rocky Mountain High'.

Great show with great weather...it just doesn't get any better than this.

Willie