YEA!!! No more cell phones while driving in Oregon.

Yea!!! There was a law passed today that drivers can not use hand held cell phones for calling or texting while driving in Oregon. I am so glad this finally happened. People have been wrecking into others right and left around here whilst phoning and texting.

We've had that law in NY for quite some time. It has good intentions, but it's really just a revenue producer. Now, instead of being distracted by your hand-held phone, you are distracted fiddling with your hands-free device, usually while being passed by a cop holding a phone to his head. The fine is $150 here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We've had that law in NY for quite some time. It has good intentions, but it's really just a revenue producer.</div></div> Here's a good one for you.

Back in 2005 while at Hershey, David Devine (AACA Forum name "Novaman") and my dad and I were bringing David back to Hershey after visiting with Rick Hoover at his shop. We're driving down Hersheypark Drive and my cell phone rings, I pull over off of the road, and answer my phone. While I'm on my cell phone, a cop from Derry Township Police pulls up behind me and turns on the lights. He askes me what I'm doing, I tell him that I'm talking on my cell phone, and I inform him that being from New York that it is illegal to operate a vehicle while talking on a cell phone. The cop lets me go, but tells me that I am subject to a $75 fine for stopping on Hersheypark Drive. confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

That is the only time where I was ever warned about talking on a cell phone while not driving.

UN-BEE-LEVABLE!!! Almost getting a ticket for NOT putting other drivers at risk.

Well, we here in San Antonio, Texas have to try to top that:

1. City bus drivers now can't have cell phones 'on their person' while driving because of more than one accident involving drivers texting:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/VIA_nixes_texting_by_drivers.html

http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=686482@video.woai.com

2. San Antonio police cars will now have THEIR speed clocked all the time. Why? Cops have been speeding on non-emergency calls. One police officer killed another police officer when he hit the officer (on foot) doing over 100 MPH in a 45 MPH zone resonding to a non-emergency call. Another officer hurt two people when she hit oncoming traffic doing 98 MPH in a 40 MPH zone.

And, as Sonny and Cher once said, the beat goes on......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Braverman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We've had that law in NY for quite some time. It has good intentions, but it's really just a revenue producer. Now, instead of being distracted by your hand-held phone, you are distracted fiddling with your hands-free device, usually while being passed by a cop holding a phone to his head. The fine is $150 here.

</div></div>

We see it every day here, cops talking on their cellphone while driving. Aren't they supposed to set a good example? whistle.gifsmirk.gif

We also see them speeding with no lights flashing as they drive through a "Targeted Enforcement Zone". I understand that sometimes they are not supposed to have their siren on, but they should have their lights on to show they are responding to a dispatch call.

Chuck,

Do you REALLY think they could keep people in Beverly Hills from talking on their cellphone while driving their 2009 Statusmobile or Egoride on Rodeo Drive, hoping they are seen by Entertainment Tonight or Access Hollywood?

I could say more about thos celebrities, but we have been told to not 'slander' anyone.....

My wife just told me that it actually did not pass, yet. They will be voting on it soon. Man, I have really been slipping lately or my hearing is going away.

We have the law already, it does not work.

This cell stuff is so weird to me; Years ago people reached for their keys when going towards their car. Now I see them reach for their cell while getting in the car.

I don't have a cell and I am surviving so far smile.gif

No radio in the car either...

...and now no TV since the signal is digital.

I am going out to work on an old car; at least somethings do stay the same smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We need another law to protect us from ourselves?</div></div>

No, but when you hit people in the wallet for doing what common sense should tell them not to do, it gets their attention.

Yupp- should be a FEDERAL law prohibiting cell phone use while driving, hand held or hands-free, makes no difference. Cell phone is a distraction and has no place in a driver's space if the vehicle is moving.

'Course most states' solution is to prohibit their use by drivers under age 18, which is stupid.

But this is from the perspective of one who has been cut off three times by the same Realtor making a left turn across traffic while her cell phone was glued to her ear, and who almost got t-boned when a Mercedes ran a stop sign at 50 mph at a country intersection. Again, by a driver with a cell phone in his ear.

What was that I said in another thread about staying stressed having to watch for mobile idiots?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We need another law to protect us from ourselves?</div></div>

No, but when you hit people in the wallet for doing what common sense should tell them not to do, it gets their attention.

Yupp- should be a FEDERAL law prohibiting cell phone use while driving, hand held or hands-free, makes no difference. Cell phone is a distraction and has no place in a driver's space if the vehicle is moving.

'Course most states' solution is to prohibit their use by drivers under age 18, which is stupid.

But this is from the perspective of one who has been cut off three times by the same Realtor making a left turn across traffic while her cell phone was glued to her ear, and who almost got t-boned when a Mercedes ran a stop sign at 50 mph at a country intersection. Again, by a driver with a cell phone in his ear.

What was that I said in another thread about staying stressed having to watch for mobile idiots? </div></div>

I agree. It is illegal to talk on a hand held cell phone while driving in Chicago. It is not in the suburbs. Whenever I see someone driving like an idiot, I have to look and see if they are on a cell phone. 85% of the time they are. The only difference is they use their hand held phone to drive like an idiot in the suburbs, and a headset to drive like an idiot in the city.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Yupp- should be a FEDERAL law prohibiting cell phone use while driving, hand held or hands-free, makes no difference. Cell phone is a distraction and has no place in a driver's space if the vehicle is moving.</div></div>

I've got a few problems with that, Glenn. First, driving laws are state laws. The last federal driving law that comes to mind was the 55 MPH national speed limit. How'd that work out for you. Second, every state already has distracted driving laws on the books. Let's try enforcing those. Third, if the problem is the conversation (as opposed to the phone - otherwise why else would hands-free devices need to be banned) then why stop there? Let's ban all passengers - particularly screaming children in the back of minivans. Also all smoking in cars (ever been in the car when the driver dropped a lighted cigarette in his/her lap?), and eating in cars.

Once again, it is unfortunately impossible to outlaw stupidity.

Gets back to what I said about personal responsibility.

Here's a resolution. How about the insurance companies have a national policy that once you accept a policy, they have a right to access your cell phone records for 12 hours before and 12 hours after a crash.

If you were found to be using your cell phone during a crash, you would be found 51% responsible for the accident and have to fork out 51% of the damages.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We see it every day here, cops talking on their cellphone while driving. Aren't they supposed to set a good example?</div></div> In New York State, emergency vehicles are exempt from the cell phone law. This includes EMS, Fire, Law Enforcement and snow removal operations (yes in NYS when a snow plow is plowing the highways, it is defined by law as an emergency vehicle).

The purpose of my first thread on this post was not to beat up on cops, the purpose of the thread was to inform you is that when you go to Hershey, don't stop on Hersheypark Drive to talk on your cell phone, because if you do, you might get a ticket. Unless Pennsylvania law has since changed, if you're in Hershey and have to talk on your cellphone, don't stop on the side of the road, pull into a parking lot.

ALso understand that a lot of police business is conducted on cell phones due to heavy radio traffic, and so that security issues are not compromised by people in "Scanner Land" who are listening. A lot of times when you see a cop on the phone, you have a security issue that can't be transmitted over the radio, and if it does, it compromises officer safety.

With the days of sick people out there, if you call out on the scene of an intrusion alarm, if you call out on the phone, your less apt to have a burglar listening to you on a scanner with the intentions of running and/or shooting the responding officer when they show up. Besides even Matt can tell you, if you're going to get your butt chewed by your boss, it's better on the cell phone than on the radio where everyone in scanner land can hear you getting yelled at by your boss. grin.gifgrin.gif

I don't really care much for big brother watching everything I do. I don't think I want to give up that type of information to an insurance company, or any other entity that I can't control.

It is possible that you could be on a phone and still not be the one that caused the crash.

If you treat people like children they will usually act like children.

There are a lot of other things that people do while driving that are more distracting than a phone. I would rather we teach responsibility, teach defensive driving, push common sense, and treat everybody as an adult.

It's interesting to me how emergency vehicle cell phone use is so different than the rest of us. And why can't they use a hands free device?

There were plenty of bad drivers before cel phones were invented, this law will have no effect on accidents. I wonder if Bluetooth has anything to do with forcing hand free devices?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe_padavano</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Yupp- should be a FEDERAL law prohibiting cell phone use while driving, hand held or hands-free, makes no difference. Cell phone is a distraction and has no place in a driver's space if the vehicle is moving.</div></div>

I've got a few problems with that, Glenn. First, driving laws are state laws. The last federal driving law that comes to mind was the 55 MPH national speed limit. How'd that work out for you. Second, every state already has distracted driving laws on the books. Let's try enforcing those. Third, if the problem is the conversation (as opposed to the phone - otherwise why else would hands-free devices need to be banned) then why stop there? Let's ban all passengers - particularly screaming children in the back of minivans. Also all smoking in cars (ever been in the car when the driver dropped a lighted cigarette in his/her lap?), and eating in cars.

Once again, it is unfortunately impossible to outlaw stupidity. </div></div>

As I have said, 85% of the drivers here doing stupid things, sitting at a green light, driving through a red, merging into another car, driving on the shoulder, etc. are on the phone. Being on a cell phone causes you to concentrate on that. Plus sometimes it causes you to look for files, notes, etc. causing more distractions. Everybody thinks that they can talk and drive with no problem. Just like a drunk thinks he can drive with no problem. However, studies have shown people cannot react anywhere near as quickly to driving conditions when they are on the phone. Conversing with passengers in the car does not have the same effect. Plus passengers can alert you to emergency situations if you get distracted. Cell phones do not. Anything else, eating, changing radio stations, etc. causes momentary distractions. Cell phone conversations can last a few minutes or few hours. Yes, there have been accidents and stupid drivers long before cell phones. But they do not need more ammunition to cause more accidents. I remeber many years ago Princess Diana was pulled over and ticketed for talking on a cell and driving. Apparently that didn't help her final ride, but it amazes me that she has been gone for how long now, and still there is no such law here.

Dean, as a law enforcement officer, I will attempt to answer your question.

I don't know that it is "different". But, ever since the "radio dispatched car" concept was first pushed, probably in the late 1930's, law enforcement officers have had to deal with distrations, such as the two-way radio, while driving. Actually, the concept of patrol itself involves looking for other things happening other than simply watching the road in front of you as a primary task.

In my unmarked patrol car, I have a multiple channel two-way radio AND a mobile computer. I also have both a personal and department cell phone on my belt. With the other 30 or so pounds of equipment on my belt, I really don't need any additional equipment to wear/carry.

All of the studies that I have seen tend to show me that it is the distraction, not physically holding the phone, that is the primary problem. Hands free phones don't solve the distration problem. The cell phone is simply one of many distrations that I have to deal with while driving.

P.S. I am typing this in a car, but I did stop and park before reading it and responding. grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

ALso understand that a lot of police business is conducted on cell phones due to heavy radio traffic, and so that security issues are not compromised by people in "Scanner Land" who are listening. A lot of times when you see a cop on the phone, you have a security issue that can't be transmitted over the radio, and if it does, it compromises officer safety.

With the days of sick people out there, if you call out on the scene of an intrusion alarm, if you call out on the phone, your less apt to have a burglar listening to you on a scanner with the intentions of running and/or shooting the responding officer when they show up. Besides even Matt can tell you, if you're going to get your butt chewed by your boss, it's better on the cell phone than on the radio where everyone in scanner land can hear you getting yelled at by your boss. grin.gifgrin.gif </div></div>

Don't kid yourself. Cell phones are not secure. There are readily available hardware and software packages that allow you to monitor cell phone traffic. Yes, it is a little trickier than using a police scanner, but it can be done pretty easily.

Matthew,

I have to agree with your premise:

The distraction, and not just the device, is the real problem.

A driver can be just as distracted by his passenger, or by a pretty face walking by, as he can by a cell phone.

Personal responsibility should still count for something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't kid yourself. Cell phones are not secure. There are readily available hardware and software packages that allow you to monitor cell phone traffic. Yes, it is a little trickier than using a police scanner, but it can be done pretty easily</div></div> Your cell phone frequency isn't posted on the internet or available at any Radio Shack store, the local police frequencies are.

Matt is right with what he's saying. What he didn't say is that many police agencies require their officers to take driver training and accident prevention on a yearly basis (in my county we go for 8 hours every 3 years). Some people haven't had any form of driver's training since they got their driver's license and most of those people are the same people who are dangerous drivers.

The whole point of my initial thread is in some areas there are no law against driving with a cell phone, and if you stop to talk on the phone in some areas, you can be ticketed for stopping. In my case I found out first hand in Hershey.

Pat is right, It is not a question of secure or non-secure. It is a question of more secure or less secure. Somethings need to be communicated on more secure networks. Some of our communications are made by digital computer message, which is more secure than the digital cell phone, but still not Totally Secure.

Now, maybe we can return to our normal ranting about cell phone use in general... grin.gif

Inattentive driving is already a law. Why single out one group? If you can drink coffee, put on makeup, talk on cell phone, attend to toddler, change a dvd, and drive good, then fine. If one of these gives you a problem, don't do it. If someone is swerving, cite them no matter what the cause. Otherwise, let grown-ups decide what they can or can't do safely while driving. "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...if you're going to get your butt chewed by your boss, it's better on the cell phone than on the radio where everyone in scanner land can hear you getting yelled at by your boss. grin.gifgrin.gif </div></div>

But that would be the funny part. laugh.giflaugh.gif The rest is just S.S.D.D. smirk.gif

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Dean, I like that one... Thanks.

As I think somebody else may have already mentioned, You can't effectively eliminate stupidity by passing a law against it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Wolk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't imagine being in a service business without one. </div></div>

I can't imagine owning an old car without one..........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Wolk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't imagine being in a service business without one. </div></div>

I can't imagine owning an old car without one..........</div></div>

Funny how when you break down in an old car, scads of folks stop by to help.....no phone needed....they all have their own and are more than willing to call someone for you.

As a number of you have mentioned, we've had that no hand held cell phone use in NY for a number of years. At least here, on Long Island, the law is generally ignored. Even more people are speaking on their cell phones while driving than ever before. Where's the enforcement? Perhaps this is one of those unenforcible laws.

Rog

At least here, on Long Island, the law is generally ignored. Even more people are speaking on their cell phones while driving than ever before. Where's the enforcement?

Be careful--they'll start enforcing it when you least expect it--like perhaps when the municipal till needs some replenishing.

Steve,

You're absolutely right. I spend most of my time avoiding drivers who are talking on their celphones. I been rear ended once by a woman in a Tahoe talking on her celphone.

She couldn't understand why she hit me. I wanted to strangle her.

Rog

A new "no texting" law goes into effect here in Va today. Typically however, they made it a "secondary violation" which in this state means they can't stop you for that alone-there needs to be a primary violation first. Dumbest thing I've ever heard of! Oh, and the fine is twenty bucks for first offense. I guess it's the thought that counts.

Terry, sometimes you wonder what the Vajenya Legislature is thinking, or if they're thinking when they pass these laws. I expect the cell phone lobby is pretty strong in Richmond. Make it a primary offense moving violation with insurance points and at least $100 fine, and people might get the message.

Running a business or driving an old car without a cell phone is unrealistic in these times, but there's a time and place for using them. Driving a vehicle is not one of those places.