? TO 1930 PLYMOUTH OWNERS

Guest KENTS30U

Guest KENTS30U

I HAVE A 1930 PLYMOUTH 30 U I WAS WONDERING WHAT TOP SPEED SHOULD BE? MY CAR TOPS OUT AT ABOUT 30 MPH. IS THAT A NORMAL TOP SPEED? ALSO DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE ORIGINAL STYLE MOHAIR Can BE PURCHASED ? Thanks Kent

Well, a couple years back I followed a fellow driving a 31 PA, mechanically a very similar car, from the SF Bay area to a club meeting on the central coast. About 200 miles. He averaged between 50 and 55 MPH. I would expect your 30-U ought to do about the same.

You might want to contact Kathy Schrack for an interior kit. She does not have patterns for all Plymouths of the era but she has a lot. And many show winners in the Plymouth Owners Club have her interior kits installed.

http://www.ply33.com/Parts/vendor#41

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ply33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, a couple years back I followed a fellow driving a 31 PA, mechanically a very similar car, from the SF Bay area to a club meeting on the central coast. About 200 miles. He averaged between 50 and 55 MPH. I would expect your 30-U ought to do about the same. </div></div>

There is a huge difference between a 30-U and a PA. I drive my PA at 50-55 all day long, and for a short burst at WOT it will easily top 65. The 30-U has the fabric U-joints, no pressure lube and no floating power. However, with 45hp it should cruise at 40-45 without too much of a struggle. My PA has a PB head and carb, so it should make PB power, which is 65hp. There is very little similarity between a 30-U and a PA as far as performance.

Lebaron Bonney should have your mohair. www.lebaronbonney.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Braverman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

There is a huge difference between a 30-U and a PA. I drive my PA at 50-55 all day long, and for a short burst at WOT it will easily top 65. The 30-U has the fabric U-joints, no pressure lube and no floating power. However, with 45hp it should cruise at 40-45 without too much of a struggle. My PA has a PB head and carb, so it should make PB power, which is 65hp. There is very little similarity between a 30-U and a PA as far as performance.

Lebaron Bonney should have your mohair. www.lebaronbonney.com </div></div>

Hmmm. The specifications for the Q, U and 30-U list an oil pressure of 35-40 PSI at 30 MPH. Sounds like pressure lubrication to me.

I will concede the point on the universal joints though: The Detroit ball and trunnion style U-joints made their appearance in the parts boot with the PA.

The fabric U-joints should have nothing to do with speed capabilities. The 26 Studebaker I had with fabric u-joints would easily top 75mph and would cruise effortlesly at 60 and 65 all day with no vibration at all. If your joints vibrate they need some repair work,

It was not the fabric u-joints that determined the top speed. I simply mentioned it to show a difference between that model and the newer style ball and trunion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ply33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm. The specifications for the Q, U and 30-U list an oil pressure of 35-40 PSI at 30 MPH. Sounds like pressure lubrication to me.</div></div>

My bad. I thought they were splashers. There is still a huge difference mechanically between a PA and its predecessors.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 30U, You should easily run 55. It is a more pleasant drive at 45 but if yours will only do 30 You need to see whats wrong.