Forum going down...sigh

Guest imported_Thriller

Guest imported_Thriller

Well, I hadn't planned on making this post for a couple of days, but since the upgrade is happening, I won't have much chance to do it. On Saturday morning we head out to The Buick Barn (Internet-free zone) and leave Sunday. We'll head primarily south first spending Sunday night in Steele, ND at the site of the world's largest sandhill crane (we saw some earlier this spring). Monday sees us travel all the way through SD spending the night in Valentine, NE. Tuesday is the final push to COS. The children used to travel better when they were small, but now they only tolerate so much...and I tolerate only so much of them in the truck.

The truck has been checked out and I've mostly given the trailer the once over, although there are still a couple things to do. There's a couple of finishing touches yet for Ellie, but she is almost as ready for her beauty pageant as she is going to get.

We are staying at the Crowne. I'm judging and there's at least one junior judge, if not two (Luke may be a bit young, but he'd probably do fine). Joseph doesn't have a full grasp of how many '59s are going to be there...he'll be going crazy...in a way I hope there aren't any in the car corral or I'm going to get pestered quite a bit.

We're spending a couple extra days in COS after the meet. We haven't got the details completely worked out, but we will spend about half a day at the Focus on the Family center. Beyond that, I'm not sure.

Following our stay, we head north and a bit east...we'll spend a couple days in Rapid City, SD taking in the Black Hills / Badlands area. We'll go see Rushmore simply for the sheer magnitude of it. From there it will be two days driving back, likely spending a night in Bismarck, ND or somewhere nearby, getting back to the farm Sunday, July 12.

Two weeks, a lot of driving, and a lot of fun.

If / when I have Internet access, I hope to post some trip photos...the crane has me intrigued.

Take care all and see some of you soon.

Guest imported_Thriller

Thanks Adam.

I made a goof in the original post...our second night is in Thedford, NE, not Valentine.

Guest Ric's62

Here's from another Buick lover not able to make the trip to Colorado this year. My wife's got one of those "big" birthdays at that time and unfortunately we're headin' in the opposite direction for a vacation. (she just doesn't get it) Love the '59's. dad had one. Also lot's of childhood memories around Pikes peak, Manitou Springs, garden of the god's, lived up the "Ute pass" in Green Mountain Falls. Everybody have fun!

Derek,

We're staying at the Crowne too-- extended stay on both ends of meet--- Plan on leaving Chicago's southern 'burbs Fri night somewhere between 10 pm and midnite-- (Love long haul driving at night- lighter traffic, less 18 wheelers rolling etc.) Not too much to see crossing i-80 thru Iowa & Nebraska anyway-- pretty flat & green-- seen 1 corn field- you seen 'e,m all. Hopefully all goes well and no problems with the 75, plan on arriving in the Springs sometime Saturday afternoon/early evening. Think its roughly 1100 miles from the house to the Hotel- 14-16 hour drive. Made it to Denver/Golden area in the past in about 14 1/2 hrs. Of course that was with newer rental units--- Gonna' be a bit gentler on the 75 than one tends to be with Enterprise or Hertz. Staying in the Springs until Tues, after the meet, then heading up to Estes Park for the balance of the week, before heading home that week end. Be looking for ya in the Springs. Have a safe trip.

Derek,

We'll see you out there. Its good to see you're bringing the kids and getting them into the hobby. BCA NAtionals were (and still are) my favorite summer vacation. I guess that means now i'm just a big kid.

We're going to get my little one (4 month old) started right and he will coming with us. Unfortunately (or fortunately) we are flying in not driving.

See you there!

Brian

Well derek and Brian I will be leaving Friday about 5 AM my guess is I will be stopping at a lot NFL's stadiums on the way as my brother-in-law and I intend to seek as many as we can. I feel like a kid going to the beach tomorrow this time a year when the BCA All-Stars gather I will see you all their. You could tell it's me with the big grin on my face admiring all those pretty Buick's.

Have a great Buick day

Frank