l928 Auburn Cabriolet ??

Rich02

Just looked at 1928 Auburn and the owner described as a cabriolet, not a boat tail and it has a rumbleseat, flat head straight 8 (is it an 888?).

Does anyone know anything about this car? Thanks, I'm new here and understand your site will be down tomorrow. Thanks, Rich

I am surprised that nobody has helped you yet. Auburn made 8cyl cars with two different engines. In the late 1920s, the larger had about 5 litres displacement, with bore and stroke the same as late AA and BB series Stutz. (When introduced several years earlier the bore size was slightly smaller).

This model was the 8-88, having started as the 8-63 (smaller bore when the previous 6cyl Wiedley ohv engine was replaced by the side-valve Lycoming 8cyl.

In 1927 Auburm introduced a smaller 8cyl model beside the big one. This had a smaller bore and slightly longer stroke, and about 4 litres displacement. This was called the 8-77, but the model designation changed as the bore size increased. It was basically this same design Lycoming side-valve that carried through to the 1936 cars, of which some were supercharged. These engines were also Lycoming.

There are a couple of things to look for which will determine what sort of car you are looking at.

1) The Larger engine of the early 8-88, and subsequent 115, 120, and 125 models all had a detacheable cast iron cylinder block bolted to the cast iron crankcase. With the 115 was introduced a Rickardo type turbulence/short flame travel high compression head, together with an inlet manifold of greater cross-section area which had a twin throat carb (Schebler). There was also a different valve timing, I think. These were very competitive with the ohc 8 cyl Stutz in stock car racing; particularly with speedster body. The same chassis wheelbase was used for all body types. (I am pretty sure they went from steel conrods to Lynite Duralumin rods like the Stutz for the 115. I haven't restored my 115, but I think I had a look and saw these.)

All engines of the basic type of the 8-77 have integral cast iron block and crankcase. Engine model of the 8-77 is"GT", with GS and GU among the later variants. GT was the only one that that had the low compression non-Rickardo head.

2) In 1928 they introduced a vertical bar in the radiator surround.

All the Auburn 8's are very satisfying performers on the road. One of my friends had a late 20's Chrysler which he always used to commute to work in Melbourne in the 1960's; and it used to embarrass things like VW's at stop light Grand Prix. One day he tried to stop and converse with the driver of a 1929 Auburn convertible sedan that he saw in traffic; but he had no hope of catching him.

Incidentally, all Arburn 8's that I am familiar with had a very generous size Lanchester torsional vibration damper on the front of their cranckshafts.

I hope this helps you. I undoubtedly have a lot more information in 45years of ACD Club membership newsletters; but I mostly rely upon memorising essentials. ACD Cub membership is well worthwhile if you are interested in the cars. Regards, Ivan Saxton