Opinions of value, rough 1936 Century 4-dr.

Pete Phillips

This car popped up today about 10 miles from me. Guy who is primarily a street-rodder has it for sale. Imagine my surprise when I opened the hood and saw it is a model 61, Century with what appears to be the original engine & drive train. He says it will run if gas is poured in the carb and a battery hooked up. BUT, every piece of wood in the whole car is bad. Doors fall off into your hands when opened; door bottoms are rusted out almost completely, gas tank is gone, grille is so far gone as to be unrepairable in my opinion; has correct 15" Century wheels; gauges are intact, rt. rear fender is held on with baling wire; other 3 fenders appear solid; most glass is either gone or no good; interior door panels long gone; seats out of car and incorrectly upholstered with rusty springs, but they are there. I tend to look at the bad and not the good when assessing an old car. In my opinion, this is a parts car. If trailered anywhere, it would be in danger of falling apart. Any of you guys have an opinion of its value?

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

post-33059-143138086436_thumb.jpg

post-33059-143138086443_thumb.jpg

post-33059-143138086448_thumb.jpg

Pete, with a running engine this car has a quick $1400 worth of parts, primarily the drive train, hood ornament, and all exterior lights. The 15" artillery wheels may be worth quite a bit, I just don't know their demand. You can scratch around and probably get another $1200 out of the popular Century rear end, body parts, instruments, and radiator. If you paid much over about $1850, you'd be working for very little. If you want to restore her, I'd go to about $1400 and even less if the inside window garnish is missing.

Joel

Joel,

Thanks for the good info. $1500 was in the back of my mind. I still think it is a parts car, not worth restoring. Even though the body looks good, the bottoms of the doors are gone and the sheet metal at the bottom of the doors pulls out and flaps with your little finger. Doors fall completely off the car when opened. So sad that someone let this one go...

Ben, you are right, that is a later model steering wheel, early 1950s?

Pete

For some reason, I've got a soft spot for these old Buicks. It's a thrill to be able to put one back on the road after this kind of shape - but it is far from having any kind of payoff. A few weeks ago, I finished the woodwork on the doors of my 36 Roadmaster and thoroughly enjoyed the process - mostly because woodworking was my first hobby and I've got the tools and patience to see this through. All four doors required new metal on the bottom 1/4th and this wasn't too bad of a job. I just bought a 38 special in about as many pieces as one can get but all there. To me, it's just a head start.

Joel

Just for reference, I paid $1800 for my '39 a few months ago. There were 3 other people looking at it with me the first night it was on craigslist, so I know there is demand out there. All the removed parts and trim were included, and it's way more solid than this car, but still kinda rough overall:

buick1.jpg

buick12.jpg

6-21-09002.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Robert Mondi
Joel,

Thanks for the good info. $1500 was in the back of my mind. I still think it is a parts car, not worth restoring. Even though the body looks good, the bottoms of the doors are gone and the sheet metal at the bottom of the doors pulls out and flaps with your little finger. Doors fall completely off the car when opened. So sad that someone let this one go...

Ben, you are right, that is a later model steering wheel, early 1950s?

e

Hi Pete,I have 4 great doors for a 36 if you are interested.Very solid. Bob

As an eternal optimist I never want to see a car parted out especially a rarer by the day mid 30's Buick.

This car can only be restored by a deep pocketed Sadist. In my opinion the most important part is that it is a 4 door sedan. If this was a 5 window coupe or a convertible we would not be having this discussion.

With all due respect that GM corporate 118 in wheelbase 4 door sedan body was pretty boring so what you have is the rarity of it being a 61.

You could get a Special with a good body and swap it all but the value rewards aren't there either. I would not pay more then $700 for it and then it should be parted to support other Buick restorations.

It is a shame I agree. Whenever I run across a 36-41 ad on Craigs List my 1st question is 'is it a Century or a Special." Looking for that elusive 6....

This car popped up today about 10 miles from me. Guy who is primarily a street-rodder has it for sale. Imagine my surprise when I opened the hood and saw it is a model 61, Century with what appears to be the original engine & drive train. He says it will run if gas is poured in the carb and a battery hooked up. BUT, every piece of wood in the whole car is bad. Doors fall off into your hands when opened; door bottoms are rusted out almost completely, gas tank is gone, grille is so far gone as to be unrepairable in my opinion; has correct 15" Century wheels; gauges are intact, rt. rear fender is held on with baling wire; other 3 fenders appear solid; most glass is either gone or no good; interior door panels long gone; seats out of car and incorrectly upholstered with rusty springs, but they are there. I tend to look at the bad and not the good when assessing an old car. In my opinion, this is a parts car. If trailered anywhere, it would be in danger of falling apart. Any of you guys have an opinion of its value?

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

Pete,

What did you decide on this car? Is the owner going to part it out or Rod it?

I could use a couple of the 15" Artillery wheels if he was going to do something nasty to the car.

• 3 weeks later...