Making a Driveshaft removal/install tool from torque tube

special55

Hey guys,

Finally got around to making the tool today using Willie's photos as a guide.

I promised Lamar I would post some directions and photos so here goes.

First I purchased a new metal blade for my sawzal. I figured I should start out with a fresh blade in an attempt to make the cleanest cuts possible.

I started by removing the large collar from the tube. I made the cut right next to the weld on the collar side. I paid very close attention to the angle of my blade. As you can see the cut came out pretty straight.

I then cut off the smaller collar from the other end of the tube. I pretty much just ran my blade right next to the collar to guide the cut. It came out straight and clean as well.

After a quick dunk in the solvent tank I hit them both with my air grinder to clean up the cut ends. I also knocked down any sharp edges with my file.

Here are the first pics. I will finish the tool fabrication in a second post to give you lots of photos.

Rich

post-34198-143138085506_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138085511_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138085515_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138085519_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138085523_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

OK here's round two,

I took the small collar and painted a stripe on it with permanent marker. I then measured and scribed a line down the center. I didn't want any inward pressure on the cut line so instead of clamping it in a vise I just screwed it down to a piece of 4x6. I then used my sawzall again and cut the collar in two.

I then cleaned up the edges on my bench grinder. I also took a quick nick out of the inner radius so the two pieces would sit completely down in the driveshaft groove.

I then cut 5 pieces of threaded rod nine inches long and screwed then into the axle housing where the torque tube would normally bolt up. Add a couple nuts and some washers and you're in business.

I hope you guys found this info helpful but if not at least entertaining.

Rich

post-34198-143138085538_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138085542_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138085546_thumb.jpg

post-34198-14313808555_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
5 hours ago, Jim Nelson said:

Please allow me to use your 'tool'.  I was able to use my hydraulic press for disassembly.  Your 'tool' will work very nicely for assembly.  Would you ?  Oldbuickjim@gmail.com.      Clearwater Florida.  

Special55 LAST VISITED March 5, 2012

8 hours ago, buick man said:

… gee whiz I don't get it, so what's this suppose to do … :blink:

We need to get this man a nice earlier Buick to practice on.

The driveshaft is pressed on to a splined pinion; this tool facilitates removal and installation.

• Like 2