question regarding 2 top saddles

I have 2 top saddles (or "top rests", as the Master Parts Book calls them) that I want to sell. I thought they were DB, but the part numbers cast into them don't correspond to the Master Parts Book numbers.

One is part no. 456, and the other is part no. 418.

Does this mean they aren't DB top saddles, or am I missing something?

<span style="font-weight: bold">My 25 roadster saddles also have part numbers and say 'Gilliam' (the manufacturer) and have a pat date. The saddles did change quite a bit depending on the year and body type.

The number on the saddle is a Gilliam part/application number. I have not found a published source showing which saddle number goes to which application. I think a lot of folks would like to see a list like that.

From what I understand the saddles were optional (most likely dealer installed). These things are rare and really tough to find in pairs that match the car.

My 25 DB roadster came with one correct saddle and one spare saddle for a touring car (and it was the wrong side also). I converted the spare to match my roadster saddle...that was a tough job to make it look right.</span>

Yes, oldodgeboys, you're right, top saddles were optional when the cars were new, and my car didn't have them, either. I was just really lucky that a fellow DBC member had them and was willing to sell them for a very reasonable price because he knew I needed them.

Top saddles are my "Life". Yes there are about as many kinds/numbers/styles as there are cars. I have been hunting for a pair of top saddles for a Dodge Brothers 1921 Roadster. I recently found one, and in unbelievable great condition. I need one more! In my quest, I have found so many wrong saddles, and no way to cross them to a car. Its all word of mouth...... A great idea for the club would be to try and document saddles/numbers/pictures of the saddles to a year and model. That would help others down the road. While we are on the topic, anyone have a #417. Imouttahere, you have a picture of the 418 to share?

My 1918 roadster has top saddles 171R and 171L. Also there is something that looks like BAIR cast into the levers. The 1918 Master Parts List says my roadster should have parts N2612 and N2613. Perhaps the casting numbers were the manufacturer's numbers rather than a DB part no. Every DB Parts List I can find, even the 1915 DB one uses 4 figure numbers, e.g. L1420 & L1421 for right and left tourer top saddles.

John

Edited by John1918
Additional info (see edit history)

Guys,

Sorry to be so tardy with this response. I have in fact been compiling data regarding these items. The top saddles were purchased from Auto Specialities Mfg. in St. Joseph, Mi. The trade name BAIR was used by them in sales. They made maleable castings for most of the automotive trade. In the beginning top saddles were equipped with all open cars. They were made redundent in '24 and were furnished on request (at additional cost). What I have so far in Dodge Brothers is '15 - '19 touring was 140-L / 140-R. '15 - '19 roadster was 171-L / 171-R. After '19 roadster both sides used 191. '20 - '23 touring used 418 both sides. '24 - '26 touring used 314-L / 314-R. Not certain how the Gilliam name came into play. Possibly they bought patent rights and nomenclature from Auto Specialties? I hope this helps.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley