65 Custom Fabric (FFL) and Vinyl (HFL)

joeinbcs

Hi All,

I need to replace the fabric on the driver's seat in my car. The rest of the car is perfect.

I just received a sample of the fabric that Clark's has, and it doesn't match my car. The vinyl is a perfect match, but the fabric from Clark's appears tan instead of the greenish tinged color that my car has.

Just wondering if anybody else has replaced any interior bits in a car of my color, and been able to find the correct fabric color. Its possible that my car's fabric has just faded, but not likely, given the exact match of the vinyl.

Thanks for any input.

I havn`t seen a sample of Clark`s fabric but the original fawn interior fades to a color with just a hint of green., like a greenish/champagne. Usually the vinyl does also but it is a metallic like champagne color and can look very different in differing types of light. Be sure you are judging the color match in natural light and not under flourescent garage lights. You really didn`t think accurate original fabric would match the 45 year young fabric in your car, did you? (: Good luck,

Tom Mooney

Just so you know, I did a comparison between the SMS NOS fabrics and the Clarks fabrics and the differences we almost indistinguishable. The NOS fabrics were a little more coarse and the black was blacker on the NOS (but it was a <span style="font-style: italic">subtle</span> difference. The SMS and Clarks green fabrics were identical in terms of appearance.

I contacted Clarks and asked what tehy'd charge if I sent the fabric. They said becuase it was a custom job that the price would not change (i.e., sending them fabric would not reduce the rice of the covers) So, my total cost would've been the price of the NOS fabric + the cost of the clarks vinyl covers.

Thanks all for the input. I asked for samples from SNS, and also from "Old Buick Parts". Will be interesting to see what they look like.

Looking at my car again, there doesn't appear to be any difference between the fabric exposed to light, and the areas that are not (like front seat bottoms near the rear that are only exposed with the front seats are forward to allow access to the back). Maybe exposure to the atmosphere is enough to cause the fading?

Also puzzling to me is the fact that the greenish vinyl (HFL) which matches my car's vinyl, and the tan fabric (FFL) sent by Clark's don't really match to my eye.