tire upgrade,what fits?

i need to change my tires size 6/50x16 with factory rims.i want to go to a radial,so i took one of the tires to town fair tire and was told because it has a tube the stem may not fit on the rim correctly.what tire brand and size has any one used thanks.the car is a 1939 4 door special

Guest Trunk Rack

wait till you hear from the "experts" who will explain to you that you cant use "radials" on older wheels.

I guess it is because they had softer air in those days....?

Oh - I know - it is because - - oh..forget it !

first born did your tires have tubes? and were they the 6/50-16.bob they looked up the conversion and said the the had no such tire to fit my rim.i will check the chart to see if something matches then go to a real tire store. thanks

they dont have to be tubeless just use radial tubes , they are available , at least they are here in NZ,you will probably have to settle for tubes made in Japan , but they work alright i have had them on my 54 DeSoto diplomat for over 10 years and have had no problems with them , and will be fitting them to my 39 DeSDoto later , when it is ready for the road.

You'll have to use the chart to calculate your tire size. Your wheel is 16 inches. 6.50x16 tires were about a 90 aspect ratio, see the chart, so the sidewalls are about 90% of the tread width or about 5.85 inches. So, tire diameter is 16 + 5.85 + 5.85 = 27.7 or 28 inches. The 6.50 inch is equal to 165 mm tread width. It may be difficult or impossible to find a 165/80R16. On the chart the nearest size is 215/70R16 which would be too wide for your wheel. You may have to go to Coker, or a another repop tire company, and get a new 6.50x16 radial. They also have tubes if you need them.

----------------------------------------

We'll all be drinkin' that free Bubble Up and eatin' that rainbow stew. Merle Haggard 1981

http://www.cmt.com/videos/merle-haggard/26454/rainbow-stew.jhtml