Questions on installing exterior trim on a '66

Don59

I have some questions regarding the trim around the side windows on my '66 riv.

1) For the piece that runs from the lower corner of the back window up and across to the top front of the front window (Roof drip molding scalp in Fisher manual)the manual says it is retained by "spring (self-retained)".

a) Does that mean it is just supposed to snap in place over the rail above the windows and that is it? If so, does it matter if I put the inside edge in place first and then snap the outside edge over the rail or the other way around? Either way I see some of my nice new paint getting scraped/chipped off - granted it shouldn't show.

b)Do I snap on one end first and work my way around or try and click the whole thing on pretty much at once?

2)does the rear quarter reveal molding have to be off to put on the above piece?

3)Is there a trick to gaining access to install the screws on the rear quarter reveal molding without dropping the window? Seems like the window is in the way even when rolled down.

Thanks,

Don ROA #9412

Guest Riviera66

1a)This is the most difficult piece of trim to install on 2nd generation Rivieras. If your paint is extra thick, you might even need to sand it down a bit to get a fit.

B) Best way is to start at the apex of the curve and work your way out carefully. You must get the curve matching very closely or you will have problems. ... you want to start outside edge and pull it down and in bit by bit working to the ends. Work to the back lower edge first... then the longer distance to the front edge. A 'church key' with a little electrical tape on it was my tool.

2) No

3) removal of 3 of the 4 bolts holding the window regulator is easiest...yes, it has to drop.

Patience (and starting at the right point in the curve) is the key to install... it takes time to get it back on exactly right. Keep working it on further and further... inches by inches until you get to the front ... the further you get away from the curve, the easier it seems to go.

Darwin Falk

1966-70 ROA Technical Advisor