polishing a windshield

Bhigdog

I have a windshield that has a wiper wear mark and I'm thinking of trying to polish it out rather than springing for $500+ for a new one. The wiper mark ins't deep enough to "catch" my finger nail but I can just feel it. Anyone have any experiance with polishing glass that can give me needed advice? Thanks...........Bob

Yes, I bought the kit from Eastwood which has a powered material called Rhodium and a heavy felt wheel. I removed the marks you're talking about from a $600 Impala convertible windshield and it worked perfectly.

Be prepared to follow the directions carefully and spend 4-6 hours getting it right.

impala

Guest palosfv3

Are the wiper marks in your line of vision ? If so get the new windshield . As you look across the repaired area you will get a blur in your vision. You will actually think your losing your sight or worse.

I did do the whole windshield because of some hazing that I couldn't remove with anything else. Also the windshield was out of the car which made it somewhat easier to apply the pressure on the felt wheel.

If the rest of your windshield is good you could just do the wiper mark areas.

There was no distortion.

The kit does come with special sanding disks for removing scratches but I didn't need that. This process would probably cause distortion if done in a small area!

I'm always skeptical about kits like this that are somewhat costly but this one did actually work.

impala

Guest palosfv3

Are the wiper marks in your line of vision ? If so get the new windshield . As you look across the repaired area you will get a blur in your vision. You will actually think your losing your sight or worse.

I have had many side, front and rear windows polished. It is amazing how much clearer everything appears. I have it done to all the windows of my vehicles when restoring.

If the scratch isn't to bad (can't catch fingernail) it can be polished out without blurring your vision when looking through. Polishing makes an absolute mess and should be done off the vehicle. I don't fool with the kits. I send all out to a professional glass shop to have done and it is generally $30 to $50 per windshield. Well worth the $.

I cant't feel a "catch" but I can feel a very slight roughness. The mark is on the pass side so it's probably worth a try. The W/S is out of the car. Thanks everyone I'll make some calls to see who in the ABE area does it. ...Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I send all out to a professional glass shop to have done and it is generally $30 to $50 per windshield. Well worth the $.

</div></div>

Do you have name/number, Ron? I can't find anyone around Allenton.........Bob

I have an old timer that comes to my shop and removes, polishes and reinstalls my front and rear windows. He used to work at the glass shop I used all the time. He would more than likely do it however I don't like to ship the big hard to find and usually expensive windows. Hard to believe you can't find someone in your area. Try some surrounding areas that are within an hours drive.

The glass shops I called acted like I was from outer space when I asked about polishing out scratches. The ones in the phone book only want to do insurance work. I would be fine with delivering and picking up the windshield. PM me if you don't want to publish his name on the forum. Thanks.........Bob

If you can find the guy to do it for $30-$50 I would go that route even if you have to take it to him.

The Eastwood basic kit is around $43 plus shipping. It will probably do 10 or 20 windshields but you're only doing one.

By the way the powder is called Rhodite not Rhodium.

At the time my windshield was considered obsolete (still available but costly) so polishing was the best bet for me plus the original mfg. and date code are intact.

impala

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bhigdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The glass shops I called acted like I was from outer space when I asked about polishing out scratches. The ones in the phone book only want to do insurance work. I would be fine with delivering and picking up the windshield. PM me if you don't want to publish his name on the forum. Thanks.........Bob</div></div>

People think that I am from outer space, too....mmmm....wonder if we are related...my relatives DID come from eastern Pennsylvania.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">polishing was the best bet for me plus the original mfg. and date code are intact.

</div></div> My situation and thinking exactly........

I did call Mesko. They suggested I try Auto Zone??????????????. The big thing now seems to be quick turn around, they will come to you and do all the insurance paper work. I think the days of knowledgeable craftsmen and really skilled labor are about over............Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bhigdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did call Mesko. They suggested I try Auto Zone??????????????. The big thing now seems to be quick turn around, they will come to you and do all the insurance paper work. I think the days of knowledgeable craftsmen and really skilled labor are about over............Bob </div></div>

Funny you should mention Autozone and not being able to find skilled shops...

We had the BEST auto electrical rebuilder 5 miles from here. He closed up in disgust because his customers always used Autozone price quotes on rebuilt starters/generators while complaining about the cost of rebuilding an obsolete vintage unit.....that Autozone does not even list.

What a shame; this shop had tons of NOS parts to fix anything you could imagine. Bummer

That floored me that a company like Mesko would tell you that!! That is sad. However, we have the same problem with glass shops here in Harrisburg. It's all modern glue in replacements and insurance claims. Our old timers who knew how to work glass are either long gone or retired. Hopefully Ron Green is able to help you with his man.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest elmo39

try using tooth paste with a rotary polisher ,it does work as long as the scratches are not to deep, whether you use flavored or not is up to you

I have used the Eastwood kit with good results. I did the whole windshield due to some light hazing besides wiper marks. You will defintiely see variation if you only do one location so plan on doing the whole thing. I had some scratches you could catch a nail on on the driver door glass and it didn't remove them completely, but improved them enough it made them really hard to see.

I did it with windshield on the car. To me its easier and safer on the car because the windshield is stationary and secure. It took me about 5-6 hours. Its not hard you just have to be patient. I probably made about 10 passes. I'd do a couple and then take a break because your arms will get fatigued. Mask off the trim and paint in close vicinity.