Firebird vs. Fire Truck..guess which one wins...

trimacar

Guest Trunk Rack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keiser31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oooouuuuuuuuch!! </div></div>

big deal - a little rubbing compound will take those scratches right out .. .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That story has ex98thdrill written all over it.</div></div> Yeah thanks Susan. The sad part is that the truck in the picture is a Pierce on a custom chassis (which is exactly what we have in my firehouse).

Hopefully with our trucks being red, it won't happen to us. Lime green is an ugly color for a fire truck. They probably did it so they can get a red fire truck. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

All kidding aside, being that I am chairman of the board in charge of the trucks, I wouldn't want the headache that they're having right now..... eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Hope he kept receipts and has a good lawyer.

The line in the story about how the state trooper was 'considering' writing a citation to the fire truck driver just begins to describe the bureacratic mess he is probably going to go through to get the government agency to reimburse him. Any 'civilian' would have been cited on the spot, probably be given a field sobriety test, or taken to the hospital in order to have blood drawn to check for drugs or alcohol.

Guest Trunk Rack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it was a truck with a volunteer fire company there will be no government involvment except maybe at the local municipality level. Volunteer fire companies carry insurance just like anyone else, . </div></div>

= = =

I think you are wrong. I dont see much chance of that being a VOLUNTEER fire dept. At least not around here - we in our volunteer district sure as heck couldn't afford a fancy modern fire engine like that one !

Guest Trunk Rack

wow - wonder how they got funding. A modern decent "heavy" fire engine has got to be, fully equipped, around HALF A MILLION bucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trunk Rack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow - wonder how they got funding. A modern decent "heavy" fire engine has got to be, fully equipped, around HALF A MILLION bucks.</div></div>

We all emptied our pockets for it since we are a small community and needed something of substance to last us a very long time. And....oh yeah....we ARE volunteer.

those were ugly speakers in the back of the Firebird anyway ... wink.gif

and as Jeff Spicoli insightfully stated:

"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it."

(all said in light of 2 disturbing losses)

You guys sure aren't showing any remorse for either side. Shame on you. One piece of fire fighting equipment is out of service. Pick your one favorite car from your collection and imagine it's gone in an instant. Even if that might be a beater by someone else's standards it was still your favorite.

What's up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: msmazcol</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys sure aren't showing any remorse for either side. Shame on you. One piece of fire fighting equipment is out of service. Pick your one favorite car from your collection and imagine it's gone in an instant. Even if that might be a beater by someone else's standards it was still your favorite.

What's up? </div></div>

I agree. My antique car was totaled 2 years ago, and I didn't find it very humorous. Arguing with the insurance company was not fun either.

I also agree with LINC400.

When an uninsured driver totalled my '72 El Camino SS because she was too busy reading a billboard to stop for a red light (with me in front of her) I argued with the insurance company (USAA) for months before I reached a fair settlement. Their first offer? $2200....for a #2 El Camino SS.

As for remorse, the fire truck was most likely insured, and a new or replacement is probably enroute or already delivered. But government agencies (especially if they are self-insured) have a long and tarnished record of paying off private citizens when a government vehicle damages a POV. And, while the truck was out of commission, other fire departments honor their sharing agreement to cover emergency calls in that departments service area.

One guy here in Texas years ago had to get a court order to have sheriff's cars SEIZED because a county wouldn't pay off a court-orderd judgement. When the tow trucks started hooking up, the county treasurer coughed up a check...imagine that!

So, my remorse and concerns go with the car owner, not the fire department. And yes, I hope the fire fighter wasn't injured.

Joe

I think that most of us here do feel badly about the accident and the damage. We are grateful it isn't our car or firetruck.

I think the jokes are coming from how bizarre the whole thing is. And some of us, me included, have a twisted sense of humor.

Quote "I think the jokes are coming from how bizarre the whole thing is. And some of us, me included, have a twisted sense of humor."

Has anyone thought how much the Firebird cushioned the fall for the fire truck and prevented serious damage to it?

smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it was a truck with a volunteer fire company there will be no government involvment except maybe at the local municipality level</div></div> I'm not so sure. If the Fire Department is a volunteer company, it is still most likely operating under contract with a municpality, so the local government is still on the hook. In New York state if the Fire truck is still involved in a crash, the NYSDOT is still going to investigate it just as it would any other truck accident, and hang whoever is ultimately responsible.

Mark is right, it's the loss of two vehicles, but more important is to ensure that everyone walked away. In this case the picture doesn't tell us if the crash was caused by speed, road conditions, driver inexperience, mechanical failure on the truck (or even a tire blow out), etc. In either case it is an unfortunate thing.

As for vehicle prices, in 2005 our Mini Pumper (on a Ford F-450 chassis) sold low bid at $118,000. The last pumper that we bought in 2007 was $366,666. In both cases that doesn't cover the hose, nozles, couplings, breathing apparatus, hand tools, or specialized equipment such as extrication tools, thermal imaging cameras, rescue jacks, fans, etc.

The ladder truck that I bought last December was replaced by a 1993 truck that they paid $350,000 for, which was bought from another fire department that paid $1.5 million.

Fire equipment is big business....