Center dash of '65

joeinbcs

I just took delivery of my 65 Sahara Mist Riviera today. Drove from San Antonio to College Station. Not too much drama...overheated a couple of times, but I understand a sticking thermostat may be the culprit. Otherwise the car is all I hoped for; 71K original miles, sold new in San Antonio, all three previous owners live there. Original paint (quite presentable), remarkably nice chrome and brightwork, interior (fawn, I think) is almost perfect...only the driver's seat has some separation of the brocade fabric at the top of the back. I guess I can buy a replacement seat cover from Old Buick Parts...? Any other suppliers you'all recommend? Door panels are pretty good, but the driver's door needs some attention/recovering to the door pull area.

As I was driving home, I noticed that there was only a courtesy light switch, and an antenna switch in the upper-middle portion of the dash. However, there appears to have been another switch directly in the middle. Now, there's only some holes. The chrome finisher and function designator are missing. Does anybody know what would have gone here?

Also, where can I verify the interior/trim color/number for my car?

Thanks!

Thanks, Dick.

I found some info on how to decode the body plate, and most of my questions have been answered by that. A defogger was not among the options listed there, so I guess my car never had one (not much need here in South Texas).

Thanks for the tip on Clark's...I'll order a new seat cover from them tomorrow. One other question...the weatherstrip around the windows is shot. I've seen several vendors who offer replacements. Any recommendations on who to use?

Oh, just one other thing. I read somewhere that Riviera production for '65 began with number 900001. The last six digits of my VIN are 937385. This doesn't seem to make sense to me, as only 34,586 units were produced. Any idea what accounts for this?

Thanks again, Joe

The data plate will only tell you about options that required Fisher Body to make modifications to the base body to accept options rear of the firewall. Things like cruise control, cornering lights, four note horn, etc. did not require body mods, only a different wiring harness. Options like rear defoggers, rear speakers, electric windows, etc. might have required a hole for a screw or an opening for a defogger. Those are the items that are listed on your data plate. Your data plate will show that a radio is installed but not whether it was an AM, AM w/wonderbar, or AM/FM. It won't show which tires came on the car; black wall or white wall, or whether they were the std size or oversized.

I whole heartedly agree with Dick, Calvin Clark is your best bet for your interior and some other products for your Riviera; be sure you get a catalog from him. Lots of mdse.

Thanks for the additional information. As a matter of fact, I do have the huge horns attached to the underside of the hood. I was told these were an option, but, as you point out, there is no notation in the data plate.

I did order the catalog while I was at their site. Seems they have most of the things that I'll need.

Just one more question. I have the Belmonde Cloth and vinyl interior, but there is not center armrest in the rear. Is there an aftermarket source for these? I saw covers at Clarks, but did not see the actual center armrest itself.

Thanks atain.

The only way to get the center arm rest, which was an option, is to find one from a parts car. Check with all the vendors in the classifieds of the Riview and watch ebay and the For Sale / Wanted on the Buick forums. You might post a "Wanted" list on this forum. There are others as well, the two besides this one that are listed on the ROA website, and there's one at www.V8Buicks.com and another at www.buicks.net

The rear arm rest is a MUST for a Riv. ! Easy to install but be sure when you find one that it includes the small metal panel that goes under the speaker grill. It is smaller then the one without the arm rest . Clarks also resells many of the items Randy Rymal / Classic Specialties reproduces/sells . Clarks is a dealer for Randy . Its best to buy these items from Clarks because if you have a problem with the product - Clarks will work with you on solving the issue - no problem !

Good luck on your venture ! Email me anytime with questions - rivsrus1@cox.net