harmonic balancer

Guest Bobby Valines

Guest Bobby Valines

Auto zone has a balancer for $91.00 Dorman. Napa has one for $118.00 ball champ. Advance has a Dorman for $150.00. Dose anyone know what the difference would be,any help would be appreciated.

Some Dormans are made in China and appear to be not the greatest cast iron.

I had one rebuilt (now my spare - have three "C" 3800s) by Dale and it is very nice. Think he discovered with mine just how much rubber is in a 3800 balancer.

I've been a mechanic for 30 years and I have never seen the cast iron fail on a balancer before the rubber. It always has been the rubber that isolates the cast iron that fails. I guess it could happen but I would not base my balancer purchase on inferior cast iron.

Steve

The first thing you will notice if you look at the balancer is the rubber where it touches the cast iron will look dry rotted. It will appear to have hairline cracks in it. When the rubber separates from the cast iron inner or outer parts you will hear a rattling, knocking sound when the engine is idling. If you do a search for harmonic balancers on this forum you can find photos of bad balancers.

Guest Bobby Valines

Ronnie just wanted to thank you for your great website. Before I went outside to take the balancer off, I looked on your site, it sure makes life easier with help from your friends. I think ill get the balancer from Napa the last thing I want on my Buick is a bunch of parts made in china.