LZ V12 Distributor Vacuum Advance Adjustments

Guest friscozephyr

Guest friscozephyr

Has anyone tried adjusting the vacuum advance resulting in better performance at higher speeds (55 mph and above) ?

This is one adjustment I have not yet tried since I installed a rebuilt distributor about three years ago. Will the vacuum advanced fall out of adjustment over time ?

My understanding is that making the adjustment is easy. My only concern is that I don't want to through the timing off on my rebuilt distributor and have it sent back out to be fixed on a Stroboscope.

If I can get some better engine performance at higher speeds I might just go ahead and try the adjusting the vacuum advance. Any thoughts ??

I think you will find the LZ does not have vacuum advance.

They use a mechanical advance system and the vacuum tube going to the distributer operates a brake inside that automatically retards the spark in relation to the engine load. You can manually adjust the advance and retard with the screw on the side of the distributer but if it has been correctly set on a stroboscope it should be right.

David

Old Henry Ford in his wisdom had a method to do many maintenance things without special instruments. Setting the vacuum brake adjustment is one of them. The accepted method was to back off the adjustment until the engine would "ping" under load and then turn the adjustment screw in just far enough to remove the "ping". You may find that you'll be able to back out the adjustment screw almost completely to it's limit with modern fuels.

This adjustment is located next to the vacuum line connection on the left side of the distributor.