1949 dodge coronet

49 dodge

I just bought this car 2 weeks ago. Can anyone tell me where the fuse panel at? I was told it was up high on back side of the dash but I can't find it. It has new sending unit in the gas tank so is it a blown fuse? Also what 10wt oil shoud be used in the fluid drive system? thanks for your help

49 Dodge,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forums. Being a Model A Ford guy, I can't help with your question, but somebody on here will probably be able to help. A little further down the page on this site you will also find a Dodge Specific Forum. If you don't get an answer here, you might try there. Some folks tend to hang out in their car specific forum and don't make it up to the general AACA categories as often. Again, Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. You will find a lot of helpful folks here.

I thought that Chrysler products had the fuse box up under the dash board left of the steering column. Sometimes under the left kick panel. I would follow some main wires until you spot it.

The Chrysler corporation did not use fuses, they used the more expensive circuit breakers. Just like your house if it is new enough.

There is a circuit breaker up behind the dash next to the windshield wiper motor. Another feature your Dodge had was electric wipers when almost everyone else even Cadillac still had vacuum wipers.

Is what a blown fuse? I'm not the Amazing Kreskin. If you want a sensible answer come back when you are sober and try to ask a coherent question.

If your gas gauge doesn't work it is probably a bad connection a bad ground or a bad sender. You say the sender is new.

Here is how to test the gas gauge. Roll up the trunk floor mat, there should be an access hole in the trunk floor right over the sender. Take a jumper wire from the sender wire to ground. The gauge should go to "Full". With the key on of course. If the gauge is already "Full" you have a short or a bum sender. To find out which take the wire off the sender and see what happens.

The other thing to do is make sure the tank is grounded. If a temporary jumper wire fixes it, you know you need to add a ground. If you have a good ground, a good wire and a good gauge the only thing left is the sender. Some of the repro ones don't stand up too good. Some guys have taken to replacing them with 1936-55 Ford repro senders which are a lot cheaper.

Let me know how you make out. In future try to give all the relevant details at once. Check your post before you post it, it helps if we can figure out what you are driving at.

On the question of the fluid drive and transmission oil. The thing to do is get some tractor oil, called TDH for transmission, differential and hydraulic fluid, grade ISO32. This is just the thing for your fluid drive unit and tranny. You can get it at Walmart and auto parts stores and farm supply stores like TSC. It is very reasonable, like under $10 bucks a gallon.

I have done some extensive posts about servicing and driving these transmissions. They are very rugged trouble free and easy to service if you know the ropes. If you don't they are enough to make an angel weep because he cannot swear.

For full information do a search of the Dodge and Chrysler boards on this site. Search for "fluid drive". The posts are over a year old by now and very long.