Radio bad (so I'm told). Need advice please.

Bushwack

My radio (seems to) work well. Then a few minutes into driving, I hear static from the smaller speaker in the passenger side door (the speaker behind the black plastic grill). In addition, the 5 1/4" speaker just below doesn't work at all. All other speakers work well.

Audio dude who troubleshooted the problem told me that aside from a non-operating 5 1/4" speaker (duh!), the problem is with the radio (AM/FM cassette - no CD). He pulled the radio out (I left the car with him for the afternoon) and tested the radio and attached portable speakers. He states connections that lead to the bad speaker (passenger door) does not omit as strong a signal then the other connection. He advises the tuner in the radio is bad and needs repair. I also have my doubts he pulled the radio from the panel. I don't think that can be disassembled and re-assembled and tested all within 45 minutes.

$45.00 later for the troubleshooting, my questions are..

1. Am I being hosed??? I know one speaker is inoperable, but how can the tuner work fine for five minutes and then static comes? *I* would think it's a bad connection.

2. Do these radios go bad in the manner described and if so, how are they repaired? Am I better shopping eBay looking for a unit (assuming the problem is the tuner).

Also, I forgot to mention that there are times that after when I turn on the radio's power, static will appear instantly (whether or not the car is cold).

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Guest Richard D

It is very common for the speakers in the door, the 5 1/4 inch ones to fail after 19 years. Your tweeter above it may just be going bad, it is not the tuner. If the tuner was failing it would affect the front and rear speakers on one or both channels. To connect four speakers to the radio on the bench requires using J-hook type jumpers which is takes some time unless he happens to have a spare connector from a recycling yard. I would try hooking up another speaker to the tweeter leads and see if it does the same thing. I bet it does not and you just need to replace your front speakers, like I do.

Snaps and pops are an indication that the six little green capacitors in the radio module have gone bad. Common.

Radio module was used for quite a few years both with faceplates and as remote units. Reatta has an equalizer.

These are avaliable new from MNRElectronics. I'd offer $99 for one and see what hapens.

Hmm...two different opinions. I think I'll start with what needs to be done no matter the cause (the speakers, since one failed and the other is failing).

Can someone direct me to exactly what kind of speakers I need? I read elsewhere I'll need a 5 1/4" 4 ohm round speaker. But specifically what kind of speaker (tweeter) do I need to buy (and do the two speakers need to be from the same manufacturer)?

On a related note, should I assume the fasteners that keep the door panel in place are frail and some will break? If so, should I purchase some extras as a precaution (and if so, where do I get them?).

Thanks Padget and Richard for your input.

Tweeter rarely fails. Woof is a 5 1/4". Being hearing impaired the quality is not important to me but I like Jensens ($39.99/pr at Mart of Wally) or Pioneers. Cheaper online. Since there is a crossover network in the door, a 2 or 3 way makes no difference but a woofer only is hard to find.

I would just look for a plastic (not paper) cone.

Guest daveagain909

I have had the same problem sith popping and all sorts of noises coming out of the speakers (much worse in the passenger door and passenger rear). I changed all the speakers front and back leaving the tweeters ( non of the original speakers looked good), this did not work, then I changed out the radio with a non reatta radio but with another delco era radio which does not have a equalizer, and my problem went away. I now have the original radio out to be worked on and will then reinstall in my now working audio in my car. Hopefully all will be ok.

As for the door fastners I have bought replacements at the lowe's store in the hardware section in the audo parts drawer. they work great, you should probably take one of the originals with you to compare size and length. If you have a problem finding I can go to the store and get the sku number for all. let me know.

I have been selling Reatta parts for about 12 years and am familiar with the radios.

He absolutely can take out the radio, test it, and put if back in in 45 minutes. I know I can do a removal in about 3 minutes and replace in 3. That leaves 39 minutes to put it on his bench test setup and check it.

It most likely is the capacitors in the radio module and this module can be easily replaced.

I have radios available. Send me an email and I also need to know if your tape player works.

On the door panels it is not so much the plastic nails breaking but the plastic holder for the plastic nails on the back of the door panel that break. If you are careful taking it apart you should be able to get the nails to slide out of the rubber grommets on the door without breaking the holders for the nails. If you do break some of the nails I normally give them away free when someone buys something else from me.

I can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

The fasteners are packaged two to a little parts bag, and cost a whopping $0.80 each.

Manufacturer: Hillman

Description: GM Push Fasteners, Variable depth

Scan Number: 00 08236 7 1594 1

You may also find them under: H# 881203

Lot # Ho1213169 J3

Guest Richard D

I need to clarify my answer. Those green caps are part of the amplifier circuit, not the tuner. It is likely that they are failing, but you probably have to replace the 5 1/4 door speaker as well. I would do that first.

Just want to thank everyone for their input. In the short time I've been here (and of being a new BCA member), the help offered is amazing. With Jim's help I hope to get my radio and speakers to sound like the L.A. Philharmonic (OK...maybe a 4 piece band at a Bar Mitzvah reception).